• Other [explain]

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I pretty much try to dig all year (if possible) or until my "Piranha model 35 digging tool" cannot break through the ground! :BangHead: Then it's into the woods until the snow is too deep! :icon_santa:

After that, I go into metal detecting hibernation. :sleepy2:

I awake in the very early spring :smileinbox: and jump into action.

Nov 24, 2017
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x Auqanaut 10"
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I live in FL now but I can help you. I am a 20 year VW mechanic who (did) work outdoors in Ohio many times. I figured out to go to Home Depot and buy 2 sided mylar bubble wrap reflective insulation for water heaters ,windows, etc . It comes in a roll and looks like aluminum foil on both sides. Use a sharpie marker and mark around your foot (minimum ) and up the top of your toes if you have room in the boots .Cut out boot soles for you're feet . Put duct tape on the big toe area and the heel area , both sides to prevent it wearing out the bubble wrap mylar too fast. These insoles reflect the heat from your feet and will help keep you're feet from getting too cold. It wears out over time but it takes a lot of walking to wear these soles out. This can keep you detecting for a long time in the cold.

Last edited:

digger460

Silver Member
Sep 19, 2015
Southeast Grundy, Illinois
Detector(s) used
EQ600, EQ800 and a Carrot
Primary Interest:
Other
I live in FL now but I can help you. I am a 20 year VW mechanic who (did) work outdoors in Ohio many times. I figured out to go to Home Depot and buy 2 sided mylar bubble wrap reflective insulation for water heaters ,windows, etc . It comes in a roll and looks like aluminum foil on both sides. Use a sharpie marker and mark around your foot (minimum ) and up the top of your toes if you have room in the boots .Cut out boot soles for you're feet . Put duct tape on the big toe area and the heel area , both sides to prevent it wearing out the bubble wrap mylar too fast. These insoles reflect the heat from your feet and will help keep you're feet from getting too cold. It wears out over time but it takes a lot of walking to wear these soles out. This can keep you detecting for a long time in the cold.

Cool idea! Just might do a full body suit of that. Hope there's no lightning:laughing7: Good Tip Humble!

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh......... the tropics!! Its rarely if ever to cold. Plenty of history, lots of tourists dropping fresh drops, and even spanish galleons !! I fish and dive as my day job, and treasurehunt on my free time !!! When it gets a little chilly we hit the bahamas !! Then we fish dive and treasurehunt some more !!! Ahhhh...... the tropics !!! photo-289.JPG

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ahhhh......... the tropics!! Its rarely if ever to cold. Plenty of history, lots of tourists dropping fresh drops, and even spanish galleons !! I fish and dive as my day job, and treasurehunt on my free time !!! When it gets a little chilly we hit the bahamas !! Then we fish dive and treasurehunt some more !!! Ahhhh...... the tropics !!! View attachment 1520310

Too true - The price you pay though is getting wiped off the map from time to time, I couldn't hang with that for any length of time.
Happily or me, my busiest time of the year work wise coincides with the freezing weather, so I actually am not missing much detecting time.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup.....just got done rebuilding my kitchen from irma !! Even a cat 4 couldnt pry me outta here. I love it.

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
When the ground is frozen solid deep enough my shovel won't cut it anymore. That's when I call it quits.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
#1.jpg blizzard hunt - heading to the water

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When the ground is frozen solid deep enough my shovel won't cut it anymore. That's when I call it quits.
Ive used a sledge and chisel on frozen ground - in my younger days

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the overnight temps are at or below 20°F, for 3 nights straight
and the daytime temps don't get above 32° F,,
the ground will freeze solid.
That's when I reach for my big shovel.

Attachments

• 20171126_005702.jpg
    20171126_005702.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 70

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
If the overnight temps are at or below 20°F, for 3 nights straight
and the daytime temps don't get above 32° F,,
the ground will freeze solid.
That's when I reach for my big shovel.
That's awesome! My husband just told me tonight he wasn't going to buy me one. So, I asked if I could buy him one. He's thinking.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If cant get out because its just too cold ... tumblr_n6nzjk6Cjl1rh92sko1_400.gif ...good time to do research

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions