When life gives you grapes....

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Make Wine!!!

I bought a rental property earlier this year and I still haven't gotten it ready to rent out, but when I took the mower over to mow it, I saw grapes all over the back yard. The vines were probably 50 feet up in the trees and all down the fence row. I picked about 5 gallons of sweet muscadine grapes. I've never made wine, but always wanted to try. This was the perfect excuse to get started.

My wife crushed the grapes, then we put them in a nylon bag and into the fermenter along with 10 lbs of sugar and some sulphites to kill any wild bacteria, pectic enzyme to eat the pectin of the fruit (optional), and added yeast nutrient (also optional), then 24 hrs later we added a packet of wine yeast. It fermented there for a week until the hydrometer showed that most of the sugar in the fermenter had been eaten by the yeast. Then we removed the bag of grapes and put the wine into the secondary fermenter (glass 5 gallon jug or "carboy") with the airlock on top. The remainder of the fermentation will take place in this jug for a month or two. The pic of the carboy was just recently, when the fermentation got slow enough that the wine could begin to clear and settle out. The darker part at the top is cleared wine, while the lighter is still cloudy. The dark wine is down to the last rib on the jug as of tonight. Then when the hydrometer says the fermentation is done and the wine has cleared, I get to bottle it. I went to the local glass recycling bin where the local bars dump their beer and wine bottles and grabbed up a bunch, took them home and soaked them in bleach and cleaned the labels off. I got a corker and a bunch of corks...now I just have to wait.

Yeah... I tasted it. When I put it in the glass jug I took a taste. It tasted like wine, but was a bit harsh. It's supposed to taste like that at that stage though... not done fermenting or settled out yet. I'm enjoying this though... can't wait to try other types of wine now. I have a friend with a pear tree that has ripening fruit like crazy all over it, and a mulberry tree on another rental property that bears tons of fruit! I drink very little, but they say a glass of red wine daily is really good for you and I don't mind a sip now and then ;D.

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 150
  • 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    99.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 062.jpg
    062.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 147
  • 066.jpg
    066.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 156
  • 068.jpg
    068.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 146
  • 069.jpg
    069.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 144

lonesomebob

Jul 14, 2005
Napoleon MI 49201
Detector(s) used
Garrett
From personal experience!!!! Dont let the air valve get plugged,you will have the best smelling basement in town, charge admission. and to make honey ferment you need corn or raisins in it. Have fun,its a great hobby. Bob

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lonesomebob said:
From personal experience!!!! Dont let the air valve get plugged,you will have the best smelling basement in town, charge admission. and to make honey ferment you need corn or raisins in it. Have fun,its a great hobby. Bob

Bob isn't kidding about the pungent odor either.. I used to help my friends grandfather make wine when we were kid. It is also best to have it ferment in wooden barrels.. As soon as you entered the cellar you were able to smell the wine.... I can still smell it to this day :laughing7: These old Italians had a way of making that jug of pure pleasure irresistible..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions