Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Three hour hunt in Baltimore this morning and dug three 19th century coins. This was a 'first' for me to find two large cents in the same day in the City.
IMG_7963.JPGIMG_7964.JPGIMG_7966.JPGIMG_7967.JPG Both are a little 'toasty' but enough detail can be seen to place them both in the 1850s, in fact, I believe the first if 1856.

The other 'coin' had me 'scratching my head'. Never saw the 'seated' figure on a brass coin.
IMG_7969.JPGIMG_7971.JPG
This is a Smith & Wicks canning token, c. 1870s.

Got to tell you the better story from the morning. A man in his 30s stopped by the fence and asked me if I find anything 'old' in the park. He lives a block away from the park and showed me a coin he spotted recently in a dirt pile by some homes that are being renovated in his block.....a 1923 Peace dollar. He wants to get a detector since he has an interest in collecting coins. ...another great conversation from a hunt in the City!

Upvote 42
Sweet digs, that token is really cool

Version Nice!!! Congrats!!! A Large Cent is on My Bucket List! Cool Token!!!

That is totally incredible I’ve never even found one LC in my life. Congratulations on the new detecting partner!!

I love token so much

Is that seated and the token the same coin? Very cool, congrats

That's right, Bob. The seated figure has the cap on the rod and the stars about the edge; there is no date below the line though. The reverse says "SMITH & WICKS" above, with "5" in the middle and "BALTO." on the bottom. They were a major can manufacturing company in Baltimore.
Smith-190645.png

Awesome hunt, two nice old coppers & never seen any kind of seated token, that is fantastic, congrats on the great saves

Congrats! I know how excited I was to find my one and only large cent of that type, so I can only imagine scoring two in one hunt. Awesome!

Thanks lemnac. The second sounded like the first on the Equinox, high tone with VDI up into high 30s. Good in 2 directions and no iron break.

Perhaps that token was pay for someone who worked at the can factory.

Thanks Truth. Token is pretty sweet. I've dug about four business tokens from this site and one political campaign token this year.

Thanks J.Cache. How things change. Late yesterday I hit the woods and came away with a handful of shotgun bases. Today - a different story.

Nice finds......cool token.

Nice job McCdig. Those Large Cents are nice, but I really like that token.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back