When selling barber dimes??

Col.Philo95thNY

Jul 27, 2007
Ocala, Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MineLab Explorer I & II, SE Pro, Fisher CZ-20, Fisher 6a, Bounty Hunter LandStar
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it's being speculated that the government is going to pass a law letting the public sell their silver and copper coins. How true it is, is yet to be seen, and I will be cashing in on all silver that are either badly worh, or those with high mist counts. Any coins that are good to au condition should be saved and if sold, one should receive what the coin is worth accoeding to its condition...HH.

The Colonel

thtr12

May 30, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never sold the coins but would they weigh them and use this to calculate a price based on silver content (90%) and market price at time of selling.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
it's being speculated that the government is going to pass a law letting the public sell their silver and copper coins.
No speculation there Colonel, it's been legal for the longest time, except for the current melt ban on copper cents.

I've seen my coin dealer weigh customer's silver coin before purchasing. If those barbers are slick but dated they might bring a premium on ePay.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
To maximize your profit, I would post 25 coin lots on eBay. Lay them flat in a 5x5 arrangement. Take 1 photo of the obverse, and another of the reverse. Let the market set the price. I'd wager that you will come out nicely ahead of melt.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I agree with Diver Down. Although they have lost some silver, most dealers charge a premium for Barbers if they have readable dates. I think you could easily get more than melt on Feebay. You might have some better dates in your hoard as well.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with Diver Down. Although they have lost some silver, most dealers charge a premium for Barbers if they have readable dates. I think you could easily get more than melt on Feebay. You might have some better dates in your hoard as well.

By "readable dates" do you mean any Barber with a date that is visible? If so, why is there a premium on them? Many have readable dates. I understand SLQs having premium or Buffs having premium when you have a readable date, but not barbers.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
By "readable dates" do you mean any Barber with a date that is visible? If so, why is there a premium on them? Many have readable dates. I understand SLQs having premium or Buffs having premium when you have a readable date, but not barbers.

Yep, that's what I mean. Barber coinage that is in AG/G or better (IE readable dates) usually brings a premium in a coin shop over bullion. That's been my experience anyways. Also, with over 200 Barbers, I'd think Tim might have some better dates in there?

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
It all depends on where you sell them. Sell them to a place that deals primarily in bullion and come out behind, sell them on eBay or a place that deals with coins primarily you'll most likely get close to melt on them or more if you have some better dates. Where I buy some of my coins all roosevelts, all common date Mercs not in absolute BU condition and all common date worn Barbers sell just for melt, but, that is mostly a bullion place, not a coin shop. The coin shop I go to is junk on the worn Roosevelts, junk on common date Mercs in EF or lower condition and Barbers have a 25 cent premium on them when compared to a Roosevelt. So it all depends on where you sell and buy.

Merc Crazy

May 31, 2012
West Chester, PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I never pay a premium for Barber slicks and I don't know any dealers that do. Dates on Barber's are usually visible until there is almost nothing left, lol.

When I go silver junk bin diving, I'll find a better date barber appx one in every 250 or so I search... so TZ might have something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions