When the going gets tough

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's interesting how few hunters are on the beaches when the hunting is poor/slow. In the last few weeks I've seen very few hunters on the beach despite the busy crowds, even at night. No doubt the hunting is painfully slow, so slow many have just given up. I'm not complaining as this just leaves more beach for those of us who are still out, just pointing out how poor/slow hunting conditions can noticeably effect the hobby.

The first tropical storm is on the prowl and just off the coast and this is sure to bring many hunters back to the beach with improved hopes and renewed attitudes. However, if things don't change those new hopes and attitudes are going to get quickly dashed. Can't say I blame them as the hunting has been painfully slow and very spotty.

But here's the thing, the reason why some of us are still on those beach swinging away. Yesterday I was on the beach and I only dug six targets, two of those targets were sterling silver. The day prior, which was quickly marred by a hunt ending accident, I only dug three targets, one of those being sterling silver. And the hunt prior to that I think I only dug about half-dozen targets, one of those being a 14k earring. In an exchange with another hunter recently he told me that he had found two gold rings during recent hunts, "just about the only targets I did find."
So sure, the hunting is slow, but it can still be productive. Numbers and quality have never gone hand in hand. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll be over there this weekend, haven't had time to go... So the 4th is our anniversary, we will be there anyway. I'll give ya a call later.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We'll be over there this weekend, haven't had time to go... So the 4th is our anniversary, we will be there anyway. I'll give ya a call later.

Very sanded in here. The hunting is pretty slow. At last check (yesterday) this system is just shoving more soft/fine sand onto the beach. Didn't see any signs on the beach that it was moving anything other then the soft sand that's piled up in the troughs and on the bars. i.e., no heavier shell, dark sand, etc.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you getting any nulls, that is how I judge how sanded it is, few to no nulls means lots of sand. Also how high are the traffic poles on the beach, if they are not at least 6-7 feet out of sand it's bad...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you getting any nulls, that is how I judge how sanded it is, few to no nulls means lots of sand. Also how high are the traffic poles on the beach, if they are not at least 6-7 feet out of sand it's bad...

Nulls have been very spotty for weeks. You will hit some areas where there are some light surface nulls, fish hooks, bobby pins, etc., but heavy iron is absent.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nulls have been very spotty for weeks. You will hit some areas where there are some light surface nulls, fish hooks, bobby pins, etc., but heavy iron is absent.
Not a good sign my friend as NSB and Daytona Beach both are heavy with iron....I have found in past when I had lots of strong nulls I found more nice targets...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a good sign my friend as NSB and Daytona Beach both are heavy with iron....I have found in past when I had lots of strong nulls I found more nice targets...

A couple of weeks ago I told a friend that if he ran into an area with a fair amount of hard nulls that he needed to keep that area in mind. I don't think he knew what I was getting at. :laughing7:

gamiller

May 20, 2013
Detector(s) used
Tesoro sand shark,
fisher cz-21

Whites beach hunter300
minelab equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Numbers and quality never go hand in hand, this has proven true to me also.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever the case may be...it looks like you Florida folk are in for a rough time due to the tropical storm/hurricane..so batten down the hatches and close the shudders! Hope all fare well down there..have a happy and safe 4th holiday...and hopefully the storm blows some old gold onto the beaches...ddf

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is perhaps a bit of "sensationalizing" going on within the media. Nothing happening here, just some typical, but small, storm system waves and a rather pleasant ocean breeze. This system isn't even expected to have much impact on Florida. Maybe in a few days as this system advances north and builds some strength it might threaten the outer banks, etc. Just about all of the warnings have been dropped here other then rip current warnings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread