When you switch coil sizes tweak your "disc" settings....

spyguy

Jan 30, 2006
When you switch coil sizes tweak your "disc" settings....

If I can save anyone here the frustration I had going from a 7 inch coil to a 10 inch coil then this post will be worth my time. I was getting lots of "false positive" signals in places like parks and really wondering why I'd paid to upgrade. Going home with minimal keepers and disposing of lots of junk metal.
Until one rainy day around my place I picked up my detector and started experimenting with "disc" settings. What I found out is that on my few outings with the new larger coil I had set the "disc" to the setting to eliminate junk for the 7 inch coil. Not realizing until my experiments indoors that the new 10 inch coil required a setting 2 FULL NOTCHES HIGHER to eliminate the trash from the treasure!
It's been too hot to even think about swinging a detector lately, but I'll be back out next time with a new and improved confidence in my machine. :thumbsup:
I'm guessing that my experience with needing a higher "disc" setting for a larger search coil would be standard across detector brands and models. Anybody have a different experience to share...?
HH
-spyguy

dand

Sep 6, 2007
STAFFORD, VA.
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX-4500 & F75-LTD
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you for the info !!!!!!!

That would've driven me crazy for sure.

Top Member Reactions