WHEN YOUR NOT EXPECTING TO FIND SOMETHING....YA DO!!!!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally we were able to get out for a couple of days of detecting since getting back from vacation. Of course my son had homework that he had put off till the last weekend before school started and he was banished to home.......per the mother!!! Boooooooo

But my buddy and I made the trips out and decided to just go swing at some of our normal places and hit the town we started a few months ago where my son found his 92-S half. We made the drive, which is about an hour away. Get there and go to our first permission site. The weeds had grown to about 3 feet tall. :BangHead: This wasn't going to work. So we headed out to the old store site. Lots of old glass but they turn over the ground every year. As were checking it out, nothing much. A few wheat pennies and I get a nice solid 12-30 on the E-trac. I dig it out and think, stupid melted metal........get ready to toss it aside and think, maybe I better show my buddy. He is the mining expert. I walk over and hand it to him. He punches me in the arm and said, "That your first gold nugget huh"? Wow!!! When ya least expect it.

Continued on the day looking for new spots to hit when the weeds die off, and I get a 35 buffalo, 41 Merc and 07 V Nickel. Not a bad hall for an old town that was the end of the of Northern California Oregon Railroad line for about 3 years!!! Were getting a good lay out and should be able to start grid searching this winter when the weeds die off.

Still not sure what the heck a gold nugget would be doing where it was found, but I guess back in the day, coins were few and far between in our area so we figured someone may have been using to buy stuff from the store and lost it. Anyway, it wasn't something we were expecting!!! Enjoy the pictures....

08182015a.jpg

08182015c.jpg

08182015b.jpg

08182015e.jpg

08182015d.jpg

Upvote 35

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's a great day for me! An intact pumpkin flask? I love em...a " hide the odor/taste sauce bottle in a great shade of blue? And a Crazy find of a natural gold nugget? My lord ? Is there a banner category for diversity?

OP
OP
basque-man

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the complements. I'm still scratching my head on the nugget. My buddy got so mad at me and made me put it away in the rig cause I had it in my pocket with the other coins I kept pulling out to show him. Day's like today are rare ones. Rest assured we have more days with nothing but sore arms and feet than days where we find cool stuff!!!!! Next weekend is a day of arrowhead hunting so see ya all then. :hello:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very special day out for you indeed ! The nugget is amazing - I like it all ! I was thinking the tall glass was an olive bottle ,
but I'm no expert .

UnderMiner

Silver Member
Jul 27, 2014
New York City
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the words of John Sutter, "I declare that to be gold of the finest quality!"

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I won't mind just 1 of those.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!

A gold nugget would be at the top of my best finds for the year if I found one, That's Awesome!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread