Where and how to sell rings with stones

bamadude

Sep 6, 2009
I have a few rings, including 14k gold ring with small diamonds, 10k class ring with emerald (mine), white gold signature ring, etc. which I would potentially like to sell, but i have no idea and experience selling rings. I hear that pawn shops pay the least, local jewelry shops based on their websites do not seem to buy, and online gold buyers look to not buy stones or are questionable in nature.

Where and how would you recommend that I sell these?

Thanks,
David

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bamadude said:
I have a few rings, including 14k gold ring with small diamonds, 10k class ring with emerald (mine), white gold signature ring, etc. which I would potentially like to sell, but i have no idea and experience selling rings. I hear that pawn shops pay the least, local jewelry shops based on their websites do not seem to buy, and online gold buyers look to not buy stones or are questionable in nature.

Where and how would you recommend that I sell these?

Thanks,
David

If you dont want to put them on EBay and or hassel with selling them you could strip the stones out of them and send the gold to Midwestern refineries. Best to wait till you have more, but Midwest will give 95% of the spot price of gold on the day they melt it down.

http://www.midwestrefineries.com/

Tank69

Silver Member
May 5, 2009
Yuma Az
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado , Fisher Gold Bug 2 , Whites MXT , Keen Dry Washer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH is right on the money for ya , Midwestern refineries is the only place I trust for mailing anything I wanna sell their good people to deal with, I went to a few jewelers an ask if they bought jewelry or who they would recomend , or I use the pawn shop for fast sales .

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never sell to a pawn shop if you want to sell that cheap I would buy them. Take the stones out an send in to Midwest. After you get enough diamonds sell them on Ebay or to a jewelry store that does their own jewelry.....Matt

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am lucky to have Midwest Refineries near by but they don't buy anymore when you walk for security reasons. They are the best for many people have gotten way more $$$ than anywhere else.

OP
OP
B

bamadude

Sep 6, 2009
Thank you everyone. Seems like everyone agrees that Midwest Refineries is best place to sell metals. I assume that they will explain how to mail safely and procedures for receiving payment.

Few more questions:
1.) Can a local jeweler tell me whether a ring is platinum or white gold or other? Have one very heavy signature ring that is gold except for flat part of face looks like platinum with carved-in letters again appearing as yellow gold.

2.) Big question: What about stones? Will have 1 emerald(~ from class ring) and 5 very small diamonds (~from ring that i found with detector on beach). Where is best place to sell these stones?

3.) Also, I am not sure which tool is best for removing stones. I can probably gouge out diamonds with ice pick and pliers as I think diamonds will not scratch or break. Is this correct? But, what about emerald? How do I safely remove emerald from class ring, i.e. do not scratch or break it?

Perhaps seems trivial to you all, but this is my first time evaluating value of a ring, removing stones, and selling them metal and stones. Newbie.

Number9

Aug 3, 2009
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Diamonds will chip or break under pressure or impact... but will not scratch using common tools.
They make a "prong tool" to loosen the prongs on jewelry that are set using them. You can use small needle-nose pliers if you're careful.
Most jewelry that is really worth much, has a grade stamp... 10k, 14k, PL, etc.

If a ring is in good condition, it maybe worth more to sell it with the stones, than to sell metal and stones seperate?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions