IMG_0163.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 22

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Need pictures....

Upvote 0

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi mikkelscott

Welcome to the "Show"!
Here is what I believe to be an idendical one as you are showing.

By the way...I have the 1637 Bible that would fit into this "Just Right"!

Bible Box.jpg

Bible 2 IMG_2639.JPG

Upvote 2

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other

Hi mikkelscott,​

Further looking, I see the link I supplied with the background furniture, that this link is yours.
I suppose like the Bible, I found and bought was "Serendipity"?
I was shocked to see a 1637 Edinburgh Bible for sale in a thrift store in Central BC Canada, my research into the Oak Island Treasure led me to believe, it must have some connection as to how it could have made its way so far from home.
That is another story.
Your Box appeared to have similar markings as the Binding Engravements on this very rare King Charles the First edition of his father's King James VI Edition.
Where did you find this Bible Box?
Robot

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

mikkelscott

Greenie
Mar 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! What a great find in a thrift store! I lived part time in Victoria B.C for 9 years and never found anything as cool as that! I didi find a lot of British antiques because of the connection between the 2 countries. I live in New York now and found it in a small auction in Connecticut. Thanks again for your help!

Upvote 1

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you! What a great find in a thrift store! I lived part time in Victoria B.C for 9 years and never found anything as cool as that! I didi find a lot of British antiques because of the connection between the 2 countries. I live in New York now and found it in a small auction in Connecticut. Thanks again for your help!
Just for reference the auction houses in Victoria and Nanaimo would buy containers of antiques in the 70's from England.
Then supplement the sales.
My family did it also for the auction.
Also Victoria having a rich British core, it would be easy to figure out how things as this ended up on the Island.

Upvote 1

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Just for reference the auction houses in Victoria and Nanaimo would buy containers of antiques in the 70's from England.
Then supplement the sales.
My family did it also for the auction.
Also Victoria having a rich British core, it would be easy to figure out how things as this ended up on the Island.
Yes you are right!...I was associated with Container Purchasers there at the time.
What was unusual with my Bible was the family history written within.
It was purchased for his daugher (an expensive purchase at the time) for her 15th year "Coming Out" in England...Elner Wynche
Enscribed:
"God grante her grace
Soe to use it and understand it as to profite by it to her Soules Eternal Welfare
Amen 1643"

A "Little Book" that changed the coarse of History!

"Presbyterian opposition to Charles reached a new height of intensity in 1637, when Charles attempted to impose a version of the Book of Common Prayer on the Church of Scotland. Although this book was drawn up by a panel of Scottish bishops, it was widely seen as an English import and denounced as Laud's Liturgy. What was worse, where the Scottish prayer book differed from the English, it seemed to be re-introducing old errors which had not yet been re-introduced in England. As a result, when the newly appointed Bishop of Edinburgh, David Lindsay, rose to read the new liturgy in St. Giles' Cathedral, Jenny Geddes, a member of the congregation, threw her stool at Lindsay, thus setting off the Prayer Book Riot."

My Bible shows the young girl and family moving to New England to avoid persecution.
One of My Theories shows that King Charles l, may have moved the Royal Treasure from Scotland to New Scotland (Nova Scotia) (Oak Island) for safe keeping...The Royal Treasure has never been fully recovered since.

Upvote 1

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Robot, when it comes to old Bibles, I always refer to this site:

Upvote 2

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread