Where are all the "PENNY/CENT" Collectors?

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like all of us are into SILVER hunting (halves, dimes, nicks, & a few quarter guys). But I'm hardly seeing any postings of penny/cent hunters anymore doing wheaties or copper hoarding. I do both on cents, but things have not changed much to report (about 8-12 wheats per box & about 15% coppers, and only a few 2009 per box). Still saving & sorting the "Best of the Best" for the 12-grandkids cent folders. I enjoy the THRILL OF THE HUNT, especially when I uncover an interesting wheaties KEEPER.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You basically answered your own question... People are averaging the 8-12 wheat cents per box, as well as the average amount of copper, there isn't much to report.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's about what I'm getting. That and some varieties.

Steve L.

Oct 11, 2008
Vienna, ME
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Time Ranger, White's DFX-300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I basically stopped coin roll hunting when I retired (moved from Northern Virginia to Maine). When I was into it I did halves, nickles, and cents. Halves were more fun although they didn't give up as much silver or other collectable coins as I'd have found back before 2010 or so. Nickles were good to me, I had fun with those. Cents were my second favorite coin to CRH. Wheats and a rare Indian head were always fun, back when I stopped I'd estimate that my copper ratio was a bit higher than the 15% you cite. I salted away a good bit of copper, but just couldn't justify holding more. I think my real good find is three solid boxes of 2009 coins (two of type III and one of Type IV). I'm sitting on those for now.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use to do CWRs of penny's, don't keep totals on wheats. Stopped hoarding copper, I've been dumping it to another hoarder for face, just couldn't hold on to it any longer.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't do copper hoarding but I am a wheat cent hoarder/collector. I have bought out complete collections of them.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like them. My bank wants to charge me $5 per box to get them so I told them to......

I've bought a few uncirculated rolls of certain years and am looking for errors, but it's a slow go.

jcole77

May 7, 2016
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still very much hunting cents/pennies... whatever you want to call them is fine by me. I usually go through 1-2 boxes worth a week...

The honest truth why I don't post that much about my cent finds on here is I rarely find anything of note... the vast majority of the cents I find are common date ones from 1934-1958... Through the end of September, I've found 383 of those, but only 15 pre-1934 Wheats, and 2 Indian Head Cents. The only really noteworthy coins I've found are a 1909 VDB, the 1889 and 1905 Indians, and a blank zinc planchet. I've found a few somewhat better date coins like a 1917-S, 1919-D, 1934-D, and 1938-S, and a couple of steels - coins worth around 50 cents each...

I have been trying to put together a 1934-1958 cent set from circulation, and do update when I find another coin... I'm now only missing the D minted coins from 1935-1940 along with the 1935-S, 1939 (believe it or not), and the 1943-D steel.

Last edited:

7up2000

Jul 6, 2014
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Currently use Garrett AT Pro, Previously used the Fisher F2 for one year
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You get what you pay for.... :laughing7:

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Steve L: as to the 2009 cents, when they all came out in 2009 I was able to snag one or two full boxes of each variety in BU condition. Only wish that I could have gotten a box each of P & D (8-boxes in total), however I'm still pulling & hoarding any & all 2009 that I find. Lately only about 5-8 per box.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
out of it

Steve L: as to the 2009 cents, when they all came out in 2009 I was able to snag one or two full boxes of each variety in BU condition. Only wish that I could have gotten a box each of P & D (8-boxes in total), however I'm still pulling & hoarding any & all 2009 that I find. Lately only about 5-8 per box.

I am about 2/3 of the way done with dumping into the wild a total of 650,000 coppers. I was selling a bunch, but only at 1.2X face, and then even that dried up. I sold some at face, but sold by the pound and think I might have even lost some on that. So I am dumping. WIll take me a few more months to finish, but will be done with all of them. Took years to get, but just don't see copper prices making it worth holding onto for quite a while

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread