Where are my coins?

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got permission from relatives to hunt a 90+ year-old site. I know it had a house, garden, and possibly a dance hall at one point. The steps and foundation are still there, and there are steps at the front of the property leading to the house that are still intact. However in recent years it appears someone used the site as a dump and/or a site for beer parties. As soon as I switched on the detector I got signals...Three bottle caps. There are the remains of what appears to be a furnace in the foundation as well as misc. garbage (lots of iron). I'm wondering, where are the coins? I know that this place may not have any, but if they're there I WANT THEM. Where can I find them? Any ideas are appreciated.
BTW I found a tall, thin glass bottle for Royal Crown cola. i think it's old. If anyone has any ideas as to its age or approximate value I'd like to know.

Upvote 0

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
P,

dance halls were big at one time; sort
of the the drive in movies in my time.
Anywhere around that location you could
come on some big finds. (No help, but don't
limit yourself with just the dancehall foundation.

Do you have a name for the dancehall; check the
history of the area, often time events at the dancehall
are in the papers. If you get a name, check e-bay for
post cards, often sold them. May give you some idea
of the dancehall setup. Don't have to buy the item on
e-bay, just look.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

have a good un.............
SHERMANVILLE

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be difficult, but I can try. There's so much crap that's collected there over the years. Hopefully I can get rid of the junk and find some coins. :P

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Slow down your sweep and overlap heavily. That helps me find stuff amidst the trash. If a smaller size coil is available for your detector, that helps too.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
Jeffro said:
Slow down your sweep and overlap heavily. That helps me find stuff amidst the trash. If a smaller size coil is available for your detector, that helps too.

this is good advise! go slow, use a small coil, and if you do find a coin or two, start digging everything in that area.

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info...BTW I got a metal reading while scanning the concrete steps which are maybe 2'6" wide. However, there was only a signal on 3/4s of the steps. I doubt that it's anything, but you never know.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
pather said:
Thanks for the info...BTW I got a metal reading while scanning the concrete steps which are maybe 2'6" wide. However, there was only a signal on 3/4s of the steps. I doubt that it's anything, but you never know.

could have been rebar in the concrete. ???

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hollowpointred said:
pather said:

could have been rebar in the concrete. ???
Got me by the sneaks. I don't feel like using heavy explosives on it...Just everything else. ;D ;D

OP
OP
Nick in NEPA

Nick in NEPA

Dec 28, 2006
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS I know of another site where there was definitely a dance hall and I have permission to search there. It was on the second floor of a post office that burned down. Should I try there or forget about it?

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Nothing ventured, nothing gained! Try anywhere and everywhere that sounds promising.... you'll learn alot if nothing else. ;)

ModernDayWarrior

Nov 29, 2005
Palestine Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My advice is to pick up all the trash and iron, then you may have an easier time finding coins. The small coil is a good idea also.

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to consider searching the outskirts and large trees or bushes that surround the property or large clearings within a few walking minutes from the original structure.

HH/NS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread