Where are the coins?

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always go to the beach after big storms. The dunes get eroded and I always find old coins.

To give you an overview of the beach; there are big waves when there are storms(15-25ft). There are dunes that were made in the mid-late 1800s. I tend to find coins from the late 1800s to the early 1900s.

Are the coins coming out of the dunes? Are they being pushed in from the water? Or are they on the beach the whole time, and I can only find them when the sand gets taken from the beach? What do you think happens?

Also, when the sand gets pushed back in, does it push any coins in with it, or what else might happen?

Thanks for any info.

Upvote 0

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
mlayers hits the nail on the head :thumbsup: It depends on where the coin is coming from, as to where it was prior to that (ie.: during it's life on the beach). For example: if the beach storm erosion that you are hunting has reached up high into the normally high-&-dry dunes (when high tides combine with high swells/surf), then it is eating away at sand that perhaps hasn't "seen salt water" for decades upon decades. In that case, the coin is introduced to the lower wet "for the first time". Sure it can have salt corrosion (blackened silver) because even dry sand contains salt, is not technically "dry" all the time (it get rained on, etc...). But you'll notice those coins that are "fresh out of the dunes" do not have the beach-tumbled effect, of not only being black (wet salt) but also tumbled (in and out on the surf annually).

The tumbled ones (so thin it seems like you can shave with them sometimes!) have gone in and out with the surf. So while the spring and summer calm season buildup is very slow (months and months to build back up the beaches), yet the storms/erosion can take out multiple feet of sand in a single night! Therefore we get the coins during the erosion (when deposit patterns are predictable), not when they're "on their way back in".

I know for a fact that coins do "come back in", because I've made distinct mental note of getting wheaties and silver in areas/stratas of the beach, in sand that I know "came back in", since I can mentally measure off of pier pilings, and know where gully river washout tracks were the previous years, etc....

What state are you in?

OP
OP
Deep Seeker

Deep Seeker

Oct 6, 2003
Central MA
Detector(s) used
Minelab XS-2a Pro, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tom_in_CA said:
What state are you in?

I'm in Massachusetts/New Hampshire. I move around to different beaches but typically stay at one when storms hit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread