where are the nickels ??

joerc2002

Sep 12, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 //garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
in the process of learning my teknetics delta 4k ive come to realize it is a coin shooter i can tell by the sound if it is a dime or a zinc penny showing dime on display ive got quarters down and silver enough to dig just by the tones .. true nickels fall in tabs and rings . i found a ring that i was sure it was a nickel,, and a million pt's that i was sure was a nickel, but the truth is i have a quart jar full of change and only one nickel.. ???? weird but ill just keep digging till i find the 5's and learn the tone...??? learning is hard:icon_scratch:

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find nickels right along although not in great numbers. I'm surprised you haven't found more as many cherry pick for the higher value coins.
luvsdux

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find a high percentage of nickels because other detectorists use masks and notches. If I get a smooth 28 to 30 on my display and a nice tone I dig. More often than not it's a nickel.

Here's a typical visit to my favorite park. Ten nickels.

HPIM1408s_zpsb0966992.jpg

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im a little slack on the nickel,s as well [ never dug a buff, or a v] but I believe it's due mainly too my being lazy.

Luckystiff

May 28, 2013
Maine
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75,Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found many Nickels either maybe 4 in the last 4 months,I only notch out iron so i don't think i pass over them.:dontknow:

bluescruise

Greenie
Mar 2, 2013
Vancouver, Wa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, White's Prizm II, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with Charlie P. On my Fisher F5, nickels drop in at 28-30. Pull tabs for me generally are around 31-32. I run with little or no discrimination, as I actually like to hear iron tones that are trying to mask good tones. I also dig most all repetable 18-50 or so signals in hopes of finding gold jewelry, and that plan has worked well quite a few times. I find, on average, that nickels turn out to be about 15% to 20% of my coinage. It goes without saying that I am glad I don't figure my aluminum finds in that percentage, which coincedently has netted me a few Washington state tax tokens.

Happy hunting,

BC :)

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk 4

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in the last year, I have been heavy on looking for gold...So the majority of my coinage are nickles...And I can usally tell its a nickle from the number on my machine...its not ALWAYS right..but a very High Percentage....the only thing that read on the exact nickle numbers are the "tail" pieces of the Beaver tails

OP
OP
J

joerc2002

Sep 12, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
teknetics delta 4000 //garrett pin pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
went back out today and planted a few nickels they show up at 4 inch up to surface as 5cent on my display and ring in at 49-51 just as they are suposed to but other than my planted 5's i found none but i did hit 9 quarters and 13 dimes and a few penny's and pt's by the pound, i dont think folks drop nickels often..

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On mine the nicklea are pretty much whispers. Or a very very short beep. Quarters and zincolns blow my speaker when I hit them, so do the new style pull tabs.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread