Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where are the "old timers?"

Been working lots of hours as of late. Been on this forum for well over a year now. So many new folks--glad to have you, but I miss the traditional voices we once heard on this forum. The advise was solid and the cheers inspiring. As such, my posts will be fewer and far between. Happy hunting to all.

Good Luck,

Simply Smiling, :icon_sunny:
apush :read2:

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Re: Where are the "old timers?"

apush said:
Been working lots of hours as of late. Been on this forum for well over a year now. So many new folks--glad to have you, but I miss the traditional voices we once heard on this forum. The advise was solid and the cheers inspiring. As such, my posts will be fewer and far between. Happy hunting to all.

Good Luck,

Simply Smiling, :icon_sunny:
apush :read2:
Yes, where are you Rich H?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010

Are you talking about the old timers like me, or the old, old timers that have been posting on here for more than a year?

:laughing7:

With all the new folks joining, I feel like a veteran here! :laughing7: :laughing7: :laughing7:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm still here. Gonna start trying to post more often.
HH
enamel7

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am still here. But I only been a member for a little over 3 yrs......Matt

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008

It's getting harder and harder to find halves, let alone silver. Someone has even started ordering boxes from my favorite bank, and dumping them at the same bank...and the bank does not mind it!!

I suppose some may think that this is just a case of the old lion getting pushed out by the new lion, but I view it this way: I had my fun. Given the change in conditions, I don't find this to be too much fun any more, so it's time to move aside and let someone else (who appears to be better equipped) have their fun. If I was new to the game, I'd probably find this invigorating, but I remember the old days (1 year ago)....

Happy hunting. Pull those last few ounces out of circulation.

I really wish someone would compile a book of our best CRH Stories. Mine would include my first time out (found 4-5 halves and got hooked), the 10+ solid rolls I got from my bank, and the box that had 249 40% halves in it. Another fun story would be the complaint I filed against the B of A Teller who refused to give me his silver halves, that were in his tray, multiple times over the course of 2 months! Of course I never heard back from B of A, but as they say "akuda matada".

obsessedwithsilver

Sep 26, 2009

I'm still here. I've been on Tnet for about two years. I don't know if that qualifies me as an old timer or not. I just got tired of posting silver scores of two Roosevelt dimes and things like that. When I get something worth mentioning I do. I still read the board daily though.

Hoping Rich Hartford is healthy. It seems strange that he would not check in after so many people have mentioned him.

OWS

gordon and tanner

Dec 10, 2009
South East, MI
Detector(s) used
my eyes
Primary Interest:
Other

Tanner and I are still here,

Spring and Summer are my busy season. More time is spent fishing than coin roll hunting. I do work all over the state so when I arrive early at a show I have often have time to check out a few local banks.

Keep on Searching, Dad and Tanner

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Still here, 4+ years.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Checking in most days. Been here 5+ years. CRHing ain't what it was when I started.
Robin

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

I'm still here after 3+ years and have seen many come and go. After a couple years the silver gets wiped out in your area and finds aren't like they used to be. The newbies just jumping in at least have this crazy spot price to make it fun. I still enjoy the search just don't post as much. I still check in daily like a lot of the "old timers" just don't have quite the addiction I used to ;D -

Maine_Jim

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL

I'm still here. I check in a few times a day. :hello: I'm still in the hunt and will continue. It was never about just silver for me. There is more to be found beside precious metal. Finding an old commem, 4-5 step Jeffersons, AU-grade Wheats, Wide AMs, Double-Dies (still searching for the 1969-S cent), no FGs, etc. It may not be as profitable, but the thrill of the hunt is still there.

Don't be a stranger and check in from time to time.

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

STDevil said:
I really wish someone would compile a book of our best CRH Stories. Mine would include ...

Tried that. Just with a story. I wrote an article for Western and Eastern Treasures about CRH in general and one of the people on this board specifically (LJ). It was a good success and the magazine asked me for more articles on CRH. However the people on the board REALLY didn't like it. Said it was increasing the compeitition and making it harder to find silver. Heck, it probably DID increase the number of hunters, as that magazine has the type of readers that would get involved with this hobby. PLus it was a highlighted W&E article for about 4 months on the bottom of the treasurenet pages and onthe W&E website. But not many liked the fact that our little secret had been mentioned in public and others were able to join in on the fun.

I wrote that article about 3 years ago. there are a lot of new people since then, but even they feel that since they are now in the door so to speak that others should not be told about CRH and spoil it for them. So I haven't written any more articles. A book might have the same reaction

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT

Still here, I check the board almost daily but don't post too much. Like others have said, CRH and the forum here aren't what they were 3-4 years ago.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro

I'm still here as well. Five years, come July.

I'm active on this site, but because I play my cards fairly close to the vest, I seldom post my finds.

Nothing against the author, but I absolutely despised the W&ET article on the hobby. I was relieved when the article was FINALLY taken off the website.

- Grizz

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would say I am still here, but no one gives a rats arse... :)

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I started on the site 4+ years ago and I still check in and read a few posts almost every day and sometimes respond, but I just haven't been posting as much. The main reason is because I haven't been searching as much due to being busy in other areas of life (work, going out, kids, etc). I've been CRH'ing since I was a kid in the mid 1980's, so it's not like I am burned out, just on a bit of a lull right now which is typical for me. I still do post all my finds (the good and the bad) unlike some here, but I just do summations of periods of time instead posting results almost every day like I used to, so it just appears like I am here less often.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer

I found the article mentioned above to be quite interesting. Although I had been doing this for a while when I read it. I was amazed by how much success some other people have had. After I found this site, I often wondered if the lady in the article and LJ were one in the same.

If you think about it, every time you leave a bank with a stack of boxes, someone is going to ask the teller "What is he going to do with all those?" Same thing when you bring in your dumps. Good scores are more a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Many people who try this game will fail a time or two and never try again.

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

reilly0458 said:
Mountainman, what part of N. Jersey are you hunting out of?
I search Sussex, Morris and Passaic counties.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread