Where did all the halves go?

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I used to be able and drive around picking up CWR and loose halves for bank to bank. Since silver spiked over $40/oz more and more banks in my area say, "we don't any", "we sold them yesterday", "if you are looking for silver, we dont have any"

Still silver is out there, just taking more work to get it.
I hit 10 banks today
Picked up $240 in CWR - skunk
$32.50 in loose halves, and found:
1957 Ben Franklin
1967 Kennedy
1969D Kennedy

I order a box of halves but i have never gotten more than one 40%er per box in my area

Upvote 0

Gilmore Happy

Banned
Jul 19, 2011
PHOENIX, ARIZONA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The tellers in my area, are just saying No out of habit and greed now.

So I started saying, "really? you dont have any?" or "You dont have any? Are you sure?" My tone of voice is saying, you're a bank...and you dont have any...

So many times, they look down, and say, oh i do have $2.50. They are usually all skunk anyways but yesterday I scored 2 40%'s.

Dont let the tellers off the hook without any pressure. As silver rises, we are going to get more and more no's out of habit, demand, and teller greed (which I dont blame them, just human nature).

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of times though, they simply don't have any. Since most people don't have rolls of half-dollars to cash in, or just depositing a few dollars in their account, and banks don't order boxes of halves unless someone requests them, there are a lot of cases where there simply are no half dollars. If a teller gets more halves than they have room for in their tray, or if the teller simply doesn't like half dollars, most will simply drop them in the sorter and deal with it that way.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Generic_Lad said:
A lot of times though, they simply don't have any. Since most people don't have rolls of half-dollars to cash in, or just depositing a few dollars in their account, and banks don't order boxes of halves unless someone requests them, there are a lot of cases where there simply are no half dollars. If a teller gets more halves than they have room for in their tray, or if the teller simply doesn't like half dollars, most will simply drop them in the sorter and deal with it that way.

Very true.

I once had $80 in halves, and thought I would deposit them at a bank where tellers used to ask me for halves. The next day, I went back in, and one of the tellers ran them through a coin counter!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread