Where did the junk come from

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
Hello all, Eventually got detecting at 18.45, I went on a pasture field that two years ago was ploughed.Last time I detected this field two years ago it was fairly quiet the only highlight being the odd Roman grot. After about ten mins I couldn't believe the difference the field was full of modern junk silver foil and loads of melted aluminium blobs. And when I say loads I mean loads,had a couple of finds a Roman bronze 1st Century coin very worn. And what are classed as cooking pot legs (receptacle)maybe medieval in the shape of an animals foot. I don't know why the junk was there the farmer obviously must have ploughed it in to the field rather than dump it.

HH Robert.

Attachments

• today 120.jpg
    today 120.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 466
Upvote 0

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Nice roman coin!!!
Do you guys take classes, I mean, how
the heck do you guys know what all those
bits and pieces a???
By "you guys" I mean those across the pond. LOL

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
tymcmurray said:
Nice roman coin!!!
bits and pieces a???
The hobby in Britain probably as more accumulated knowledge finds wise than the Establishment. Over the years I've met a couple of excellent archaeologists ,and many very poor ones. This also can be said of museum staff.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
robfinds said:
tymcmurray said:
Nice roman coin!!!
bits and pieces a???
The hobby in Britain probably as more accumulated knowledge finds wise than the Establishment. Over the years I've met a couple of excellent archaeologists ,and many very poor ones. This also can be said of museum staff.

I know what you mean. I don't want to sound big headed, but if you combined all the knowledge of every university Archy I've met (loads) they still wouldn't come close to the knowledge I have in coins & artefacts. I have no idea what they teach them, but if I wanted to date a ditch I would sure as hell at least know about UK coins!

OP
OP
robfinds

robfinds

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2007
Yorkshire England
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmax
CRUSADER said:
robfinds said:
tymcmurray said:
Nice roman coin!!!
bits and pieces a???

I know what you mean. I don't want to sound big headed, but if you combined all the knowledge of every university Archy I've met (loads) they still would come close to the knowledge I have in coins & artefacts. I have no idea what they teach them, but if I wanted to date a ditch I would sure as hell at least know about UK coins!
Very true Crusader !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread