Where do i sell coins?

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Local Coin Shop? I would go eBay or craigslist for a large amount. My coin shop pays nearly 90% of the scrap on silver coins, which I think is exceptionally good.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends on where you are. In some places bullion shops and pawn shops pay very well (very close to spot) in some places Craigslist works very well with people paying either at (or above!) spot, in some places coin shops pay very well, in other spots pawn shops will pay you little more than face, bullion places will pay low, people on Craigslist either aren't interested or will only buy at a deep discount and the local coin shops are more interested in numismatics than bullion. But try them all, make some calls, keep in mind that many jewellery places will buy silver. Since you're selling junk silver and not numismatic items you should just be able to call and ask what their buy price is per $1 of 90%/40% and they should be able to tell you fairly easily.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post it all for 40 bucks, and make a buck.

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually go to my local coin show. They bump off a dollar here and there when I make purchuses because I steer people towards them. But here is a weird thing. If i buy junk silver they sell it at spot. But if I buy full ounces or silver eagles, they tag on an extra 3 or 4 dollars. does that sound right? What percentage would that be above spot because I see those gold/silver sellers on TV that supposed sell at only 1% above cost, whatever that means.

Hugs and Smiles,
Garoulady

Adamanteus

Greenie
Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GarouLady, It's 1% above "their" cost. Which means they can say it cost them just about anything. Labor to take the phone call, ship, buy and sell all adds to the "cost" of the product.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread