Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm outfitting myself for a prospecting trip, and organizing how I'm going to carry my tools, etc. Some locations will be steep, and I've got climbing rope and a harness to steady myself while swinging the detector, and also have a carpenter's belt with D-rings, etc.

Where do you all stash your supermagnet for quickly finding iron trash? I don't want it to get close to either my watch, compass, or control box on the detector, because the magnetic field could seriously screw things up. (I have visions of the magnet wiping clean the processor or something!)

There's got to be a good, safe way of doing this that I haven't thought of. I've ordered a magnet that comes with a carabiner, so I can clip it to something if necessary. I suppose I can put it in my backpack, although I don't plan on having that with me at all times, and it would be inconvenient to open it up each time to retrieve the magnet when checking a target.

Thanks for your input!

Upvote 0

galenrog

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2006
I have two attached to each pick, one on each shovel, one on each walking stick. They are cheap. Put one on every tool that makes ground contact.

OP
OP
B

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, galenrog -- that gives me some ideas. The magnet arrived in the mail today, and despite the fact that it's extremely powerful, I was surprised that the magnetic field only extends a couple inches or so. Maybe if I'm reasonably careful, it won't be as hazardous to electronics as I was afraid...

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I worry about the same thing. Magnets are not friends to electronics. Heck, I also worry that one attached to the pick would stick to something important and when it moves to pull things apart. As you say, the field is not large, but it sure is strong up close. That said, I have by mistake had RE magnets close to my detector(s) and nothing bad has happened yet.

OP
OP
B

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the vote of confidence, placergold! Maybe there's nothing to worry about...just be careful...until...woops! :BangHead:

GreyGhost

Feb 14, 2010
AZ
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most guys have them on the head of their pick. You're already digging around in the ground with it, sifting dirt. Might as well keep the magnet on it to help you out.

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
GreyGhost. I have worried about my magnets when I pack bags for an airplane, pack the truck for a trip or fill a backpack for a hike. It is so easy to end up with a magnet next to something I would rather have further away.

BCfromFL. Exactly. Nothing bad has happened yet, but it is probably Murphy's Law waiting for the opportune time to strike. I view it like I do a bear in camp - just because I have not had a problem yet, does not mean it won't happen and it is a good idea to avoid it as best I can.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Get to some automotive supply stores or combination automotive, farm supply type stores and look for a super-magnet on an extendable wand. Try to get one that's long enough so you don't have to bend down all of the time to use it. They're perfect for trashy areas or spots on bedrock that have been mined where there's lots of bits of blade and track tight on the bedrock.

http://

I have them on my picks as well, but if I can use a very light pick and get away with a combined usage of the light pick and the magnet on the wand, I'll choose it every single time. I always have a heavier pick with me on the ATV ready to use if the need arises, or I'll haul it down into a tight spot and toss it aside until I need it, but use the light combo as much as I can as I can get the wand/magnet setups into much tighter spots much easier.

All the best,

Lanny

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bcfromfl

Feb 18, 2016
Youngstown, FL
Detector(s) used
GPX 4500,
Fisher Gold Bug Pro,
Gold Hog stream sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone so much for your recommendations! Now...if the rain would just STOP in the PNW so the rivers can start going down...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread