Where do you find most of your loot?

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I am curious where you all do the best at the beach as far as finding loot. I have altered a beach photo with color codes for different "zones" of the surf. Based on this, I am curious to see where in these zones you hunt, and what kind of loot you have found in each zone. I know this particular photo does not have a sand bar visible, but, lets pretend it does :).

I know all beaches are different, but in my experience, most have the same basic features. I wanted to get some feedback to help myself understand how objects are distributed on the beach. I have heard of rings moving miles underwater before being deposited.

Grey - Dry Sand
Red - The ledge(at my beach in some areas, just above the high water surf line, is a small ledge where the dry sand drops off to the wet sand.)
Blue - Top of the hide tide area
White - Where the beach changes color, from lighter sand to darker sand
Purple - the surf zone during low tide
Green - Where the "churn" is at low tide
Yellow - Behind the churn at low tide, knee to waist deep
Orange - Shore side of any sand bar(if present)
Brown - top of a sand bar(if present)
Black - ocean side of a sand bar(if present)

Thanks in advance for any feedback or response!
Anthony

Attachments

• test.JPG
    test.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 408
Upvote 0
For me personally, all of my good jewelry has been in the purple surf zone. The white dot tends to be where I find the coin line locally, and sometimes I find goodies in there.

I have tried in the water, but very few good targets have I found there. Lot of coins, and other miscellnious objects(like cell phones, sunglasses, fishing tackle, etc). I have also tried on top of sand bars, but very few targets, and none of them were worth much.

For coins shallow water and little trash, dry sand has more trash but has also a few rings and coins.

Can't go to deep w/ the DFX (into the water). More rings deeper into the water.

Heres how I'd classify it:

Gray to yellow holds mostly coins
Orange to black I have not hunted, but I suppose theres more rings/jewelry there.

Above the dry sand there is often a grassy area here at my inland beaches there are most of my rings found.

I think most who have tried MD in the water swear that's where the good stuff is. Few go back to just working the sand, most only work the dry sand going to and from the water. You only need more experience in the water. You're finding great stuff, it might not be gold but its the size, shape and was found where you will find gold. Each day things at the ocean beach change so the more time you put in at your beach the better you will get. My biggest recommendation is and always will be make sure your batteries are charged and then go to the beach. The more you use your machine the better you will get. I've looked at the pics you have posted you are doing great. Best to you, Mike. :thumbsup:

A lot depends on how the tide is moving. If we take it at a general view or average of the water in the picture I do well in the Yellow zone, knee to waist.

You need to account for the tide and the amount of surf action.

http://thegoldenolde.com/

Good Luck,
Sandman

Blue Through Yellow for me. I have about given up on the dry sand. There are more land hunters on the beach than ants nowadays.

Blue to Orange For me ,,,,,, Guzz

I vote purple through orange, but I have found at all the different points.  As to where are most of the goodies, everybody will have a different answer.  I believe like Sandman, it depends on the tides, currents, wave action, and where most people concentrate on the beach.  Make a trip to the beach without your metal detector in hand, leave it in the car for later.  Stay throughout the day and watch where the bathers mostly concentrate.  That will probably be the jackpot.  The same thing goes for dry sand.  Look at where most of the people have their towels and blankets.  It just increases your odds of finding something.  When you are finished in those areas hit the areas outside of that, you will see as you move further away from the epicenter that there are fewer targets.  You can still find nice stuff in these areas but the odds are against it.

I concentrate on the yellow zone, but I do hunt from the white to yellow in the picture. Yellow is where most is found, but as Sandman says you have to take into account the tides.

Yellow zone becomes white zone durning high tide, people dont just go in to water at low tide, that is the reason I say I hunt white to yellow.......

Really good question.

Most of my finds are in the vicinity of the densest concentrations of bikinis that day :icon_jokercolor:

white to orange @ low tide!

It's purple - yellow for me. Keep in mind, I am at a lake, not the ocean. I am sure hunting is different between the two places.

Iskuli said:
It's purple - yellow for me. Keep in mind, I am at a lake, not the ocean. I am sure hunting is different between the two places.

Yep, no rip currents, and you don't have to fight the surf crashing over the top of you, on occasions flipping you upside down.

Probably not as many sharks either............... :wink:

Good luck and good hunting....... :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back