whitesid

Bronze Member
Aug 7, 2006
earth
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

mj74

Mar 15, 2010
The back of the hospital. My Mom works there,and they have a table outside the maintance garage where they put all the stuff that's broken or unwanted. I always find computers,monitors,microwaves,fax machines,all kinds of stuff like that. :)

hypoman

Jul 25, 2008
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Usually by word of mouth from family and friends. People love the fact that they will be recycling something!

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
post on craigslist and if you have freecycle from yahoo post on there also and of course friends and if you see something sitting out in a yard stop and ask.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't do scrap But wanted to let you know most of the time i just put it out on the curb and its gone within a hour!!!! once in a while i have to post it on Craig's list and its gone within 15 minutes of the post time, sometimes within 5 minutes when its posted!!!! hope this helps. i manage and maintain a Small apt complex usually once every month i have a scrap pile that needs to be picked up!!!! check with the local apt complexes maint supervisor, they are great for a scrap contact!!!

hyderconsulting

Apr 17, 2007
Here's a few ideas. Check with those rent a storage space places for scrap items. If a renter fails to pay for space the storage place must put the stuff up for auction but that's not where you would get scrap. Often a renter who pay for storage space for a while then moves his stuff out will sometimes abandon one or two items that don't work like a frig. They leave it up to storage company to dispose of it. Check to see if they have any stuff to haul away.

This one is along the same lines. Check with people who own house or apartment rental property. The same thing happens here and when their renters move on they leave stuff behind the landlord doesn't have time to dispose of.

Check with business offices like doctors and attorneys. These people don't have the time to dispose of broken furniture or appliances like microwaves or friges that quit working so they hope someone will haul them off.

Check with small auto repair and body repair shops for they always have scrap metal. When you go though you will find they already have someone hauling it off but keep checking back with them for they sometimes lose their "scrap man" for a while.

Specialize some. Run an ad saying you haul off scrap metal but you also have torch equipment to cut up large pieces of equipment or that you have a trailer to handle a lot. Sometimes this helps in getting scrap to haul. Regards, Chris.

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
hyderconsulting said:
Specialize some. Run an ad saying you haul off scrap metal but you also have torch equipment to cut up large pieces of equipment or that you have a trailer to handle a lot. Sometimes this helps in getting scrap to haul. Regards, Chris.

Hadn't thought about mentioning a trailer or a cutting torch. Good ideas

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just started a new job, I'm a maintenance technician for a apartment complex. while going through the maintenance garages i found allot of scrap and decided to take in the first loads myself 60.00 later for 1.5 hours of my time i guess ill take the other 2 loads in myself and check with the other properties and see if they have any i can pick up on a Saturday's!!!!!

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Chug don't forget to seperate the aluminum from the copper from the steal each gets a different price and worth the effort

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
whitesid said:
im always looking for new places to find scrap so i was wondering where you guys pick up your scrap from? as of now i get mine from two places, either in the woods when in go fishing or just looking around in the woods or out on the streets on garage nights.

Call your city's garbage pickup department and get their Pickup schedule so you'll know what part of town they go each day of the week.... If you can afford the gas, go to those zones the evening before to see what's set out....

I had a really rusted-up old 2'x3' metal cabinet, it stayed out near the road less than 2hrs before I heard the squeal of brakes and "slight boom" as it was tossed inside the bed of an old dually pickup....

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Craigslist and look for 'Free Stuff',when I had my truck I use to load up on old ovens,BBQ pits,fridges,and washer and dryers. :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread