Where do you put yer BOOTY?

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
When I was still a kid, I remember a story that went through the local paper for over a year.

Seems an old man had recently died and left his estate to several heirs.

It was known that he hadn't trusted banks and many thought he had buried his money on his property somewhere. At that point it was just a rumor and no one really knew anything for sure.

Well the heirs decided to auction the farm and on the last day before the auction, one of them came by with a metal detector and within minutes found a Bell jar with gold coins in it. Within hours all the heirs were there fighting over the coins, calling the police, etc.

The auction was called off and a large high fence was put up and for literally several decades the farm just sat there. All the heirs had each other under court order that prevented them being on the farm unless they were all there.

I have driven by the farm maybe 3 times in the past 25 years and the last time it was still there, the house has fallen in on itself, large trees are everywhere now, and its easy to imagine that no humans have set foot on that property in all this time.

Anyway it was a funny topic of conversation for several years.

I remember my grandmother and how she was always careful to not let people know where she kept her silver coins. I distinctly remember her slapping my aunt when she held me (at age 6) by the arms and demanded to know where the coins were.

In retrospect it is kind of funny that out of all the people in the world, she trusted a 6 year old kid with the location of her coin collection, but not any of her children, including my own mother.

Ive heard stories most of my life about banks and how they cheated people around here during the 1930s. That way of thinking is very heavily ingrained in the mindset of almost everyone here over the age of 35.

I remember when I was 18 I opened a bank account and my Dad cried for hours about it and tried to get me to close the account for years.

Maybe it is that is the kind of upbringing in me, but I really have a fear of putting my silver coins in a safe deposit box.

With that said, and in consideration of some recent posts by Golden Silver, I'm wondering about how and where to keep my coins.

How would you keep your coins safe, from thieves, and from government thieves?

What I mean is, they already tactfully threatened Golden Silver with confiscation of his silver coins, and truthfully if he still has them in his house, he is a complete moron.

Upvote 0

DigginThePast

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never found anything worth hiding. :( But if you want to keep your valuables at my place nobody would think to look for your stuff here. ;D

OmegaMan

Dec 9, 2007
Cool story. Greed really changes people, even family.

All the Silver coins were taken out of circulation in 1964, so I don't have to worry
where to store them, because I don't find any. It's just a myth about silver in
circulation.

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I just keep my finds in a cardboard box. Not to worried about thieves in my neck of the world.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
in my pants it is against the law to have yer booty showing in public hehehehehe no ihave a small fire box that has floor mounts with locj and key

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
What bothers me about home safes, is that if two people can move one in, two people can carry it out, too.
I finally took a safety deposit box at the bank, I just can't have that much PM's lying around the house. It is not insured there, and my homeowners insurance needs to have everything itemized and appraised as a collection, as they will not insure bullion. ffd

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
i personally don't like to keep my booty at home. safe or no safe, hidden or in plain sight. with all the home invasions nowadays, how long before they beat the location and combination out of you? how long do you hold out while they are beating and or raping one of your family members. don't get me wrong, i don't have the right answer as to where is the safest place to hide something. i guess the best way to hide something is to not let anyone know you have anything to hide. something all of us should think of before posting year to date finds and such. it wouldn't be too difficult to track your finds and add it up. then they track you down.

alexfm123

Nov 17, 2009
Far West Texas
mistergee said:
i personally don't like to keep my booty at home. safe or no safe, hidden or in plain sight. with all the home invasions nowadays, how long before they beat the location and combination out of you? how long do you hold out while they are beating and or raping one of your family members. don't get me wrong, i don't have the right answer as to where is the safest place to hide something. i guess the best way to hide something is to not let anyone know you have anything to hide. something all of us should think of before posting year to date finds and such. it wouldn't be too difficult to track your finds and add it up. then they track you down.

Im with mistergee. The best bet is to not let ayone know that you have somethign worth hiding. Thats the best way to do it. And for those of us that are being "watched", maybe it would be worth it to try and find somewhere that only you can remember. Like a secret cache of your own. I dont want to get into too many details in the open though. You guys are an ingenious bunch. Im sure we could figure something out. ;D

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
I remember several years ago about reading an article of a man who installed safes in your home. His speciality was that he would install them where you couldn't find them even looking directly at them. One of his clients he installed two separate safes one was installed for the wife the other for the husband and neither of them told the other that they had a hidden safe installed in the house.

Cachefinder

Dec 22, 2008
ARIZONA
Detector(s) used
lucky horseshoe
PVC tube cache is the way to go! :icon_thumleft:

also very handy if u can bury it off your property- but somewhere that wont be found
or stumbled upon.

The PVC tube is also a great way to store a survival kit/ and a weapon(hand gun) with ammo.
(a few of these 4 foot tubes, at least 5 inch diameter ) and you can store alot of items.

Cachefinder-

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Fistfulladirt said:
What bothers me about home safes, is that if two people can move one in, two people can carry it out, too.
I finally took a safety deposit box at the bank, I just can't have that much PM's lying around the house. It is not insured there, and my homeowners insurance needs to have everything itemized and appraised as a collection, as they will not insure bullion. ffd

That depends on what kind of safe you buy. If you having something worth keeping it's worth the investment. I installed one in my house that took 3 people to move it in,through 3 doorways. The safe is about 1,200 lbs. Two people or three or four are not moving it. There only hope is to spend about 5+ hours trying to pry it open. Which probably wouldn't happen anyways.

On a side note someone tried to break into my house a couple nights ago. He was high on drugs trying to come in the back door. He was met with a gun in his face, a pitbull protecting her new puppies, and the cops on the other end of the phone. Feel free keeping stuff in your house. Just make sure you have a layered line of defense.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nyiangelo said:
Fistfulladirt said:

That depends on what kind of safe you buy. If you having something worth keeping it's worth the investment. I installed one in my house that took 3 people to move it in,through 3 doorways. The safe is about 1,200 lbs. Two people or three or four are not moving it. There only hope is to spend about 5+ hours trying to pry it open. Which probably wouldn't happen anyways.

On a side note someone tried to break into my house a couple nights ago. He was high on drugs trying to come in the back door. He was met with a gun in his face, a pitbull protecting her new puppies, and the cops on the other end of the phone. Feel free keeping stuff in your house. Just make sure you have a layered line of defense.

I will agree, a dog is one of the best deterants you can have. Not a quiet dog, a loud barking dog and the bigger the better. I have a 90lb rottie mix who will stare down any crackhead that tries to get in my house. Right behind that is a .38.

OP
OP
P

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
nyiangelo said:
Fistfulladirt said:

Good post, but what if the thief is armed with a warrant and just knocks on your front door?

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
;D Is that a trick question. Like the people knocking on doors dressed like UPS but without the truck. Or the one wearing a gas mans uniform but no company vehicle. If he has a warrant I'd hope he has a squad car parked in the driveway.

There's always a risk when your hiding something. Like it's been said "it's best just not to say anything." But I'm not worried about big brother bugging me about it.

OP
OP
P

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
nyiangelo said:
;D Is that a trick question. Like the people knocking on doors dressed like UPS but without the truck. Or the one wearing a gas mans uniform but no company vehicle. If he has a warrant I'd hope he has a squad car parked in the driveway.

There's always a risk when your hiding something. Like it's been said "it's best just not to say anything." But I'm not worried about big brother bugging me about it.

Perhaps you don't understand. I'm talking about REAL law enforcement officers.

Several years ago, a group of local police decided to start knocking on peoples doors, and telling them they had to perform a "routine" search of the premises.

If the occupant said no they got fussy and argumentative and asked "what do you have to hide?"

99% of the people ended up allowing them in.

Upon searching the house they would begin taking all the guns, coins, and anything of value, stating that they had to bring them back to the station in order to run the serial numbers or check against various databases to see if any of the property was stolen.

Weeks later the owner would contact the sheriff and ask about getting their property back and the sheriff denied knowing anything about it, and since the property owner didn't have a receipt for the property, and couldn't name the officers involved, they were just out of luck.

Even when the officer was identified as actually working for the sheriff department, they just denied any knowledge of ever being at the owners house and without proof it ended there.

This went on for YEARS, and to an extent is still goes on.

I personally know two people who have had property confiscated this way.

The former sheriff in the next county confiscated over 500 guns in his last year in office. He signed court documents stating that they were destroyed and that he personally watched them be cut in half with a plasma torch, yet those same guns turned up in a drug bust in Connecticut in 2004. They never did anything to him.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
AGCoinHunter said:
nyiangelo said:
Fistfulladirt said:

I will agree, a dog is one of the best deterants you can have. Not a quiet dog, a loud barking dog and the bigger the better. I have a 90lb rottie mix who will stare down any crackhead that tries to get in my house. Right behind that is a .38.
Um, if I had to worry about crackheads and the like in my neighborhood, I would relocate in a heartbeat, wtf?

nyiangelo

Feb 19, 2007
The Lone Star State
Detector(s) used
ace 250/ Minelab SE Pro
Fistfulladirt said:
AGCoinHunter said:
nyiangelo said:
Fistfulladirt said:

Um, if I had to worry about crackheads and the like in my neighborhood, I would relocate in a heartbeat, wtf?
Your not going to get away from crime unless you relocate to the moon. I could move to a nicer neighborhood but that's no gurantee that someone wont try to break in there. The same with anybody .

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Where I put my booty is my business and that of the Federal Government apparently.

Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread