where in river is best place to find float gold?

Indy gold

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all, new to the forum and been reading a lot of posts. There seems to be a lot of knowledge here so I was wondering if I could get some tips on finding small stuff. I'm here in central Indiana where it's a long way to bedrock (80ft plus most spots) was hoping someone with experience could point me in a better direction. Right now I go to a spot with a lot of cobble stones, 3,4 to 12inches locked tight. Pretty hard digging. I find 4 to 12 specs per 5 gallon bucket running through a sluice. Towards the outside bend seems a little better. Anyone finding anything worthwhile working float gold? Not get rich (lol) but something like 30 to 50 specs would appreciate any suggestions thx

DesertNuggets

Mar 29, 2011
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Float gold can be found anywhere in a waterway. It's generally found in the first few inches of material. Sandy benches come to mind.

I'd still follow basic gold rules. Test the inside bends, behind boulders, and bedrock if you can get to it.

Be sure to clean out the roots of plants. Float gold loves to get caught up in roots.

Hopefully some other Indianans will chime in.

Good luck. :)

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes sandy benches and the leading edge of sand bars. Along the bank in roots as said and keep an eye out for moss bars as they act like miners mats~ you will have to break them up. Keep an eye out for black sands. Best time is after surges in the river or creek. Overpasses and culverts are also good areas. Luck to ya.

OP
OP
I

Indy gold

Tenderfoot
Nov 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thx for suggestions. There is a bigger boulder on inside bend buried in flow sand. tried there some last year and got a few pieces but smaller not as many. I didn't make it to the bottom of boulder though, think I'll try again and go deeper. I am classifying this year so it should help in recovery. Your right about it only seems to be in the first six inches of cobble where im at. Wondering if anyone goes down in a sand bar to a clay layer if you would find it sitting on top of clay. would be a major excavation for me and my short handled shovel. The thing is my sluice is right on my spot in the cobble right now. No good place by sand bar on inside bend, but if someone was getting a lot better results I would try and get something rigged up.

goldenmojo

Bronze Member
Dec 9, 2013
N. California
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Prospector-Sniper-Supermini Thanks Todd & Chris, Goldhog Multisluice Thanks Doc, My Land Matters Thanks Claydiggins, 6 Senses
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Usually it is hard for small gold to force its way down deep and sometimes depending on conditions of the waterway you are working specific sections will be picked up and redistributed during high water and some areas won't. It will be where you find it. If you have gold that has been pounded very thin is will float up higher and can be on outside turns als. Good Luck in your prospecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread