Where is a good area to find ammonites in the U.S ?

terryo

Aug 13, 2007
north Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250, 1974 Whites coinmaster 2/d

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Used to find them on a slope behind Holmes H.S. in San Antonio. Large, fossils in limestone. Area was getting developed, have not been there in 5-6 years, but suspect that access is still there. Large grouping of Exogyra Ponderosa there also. Very large. Had a half dozen of each, but really hated Historical Geology/Paleo and tossed them when I moved. Area is about 5 miles from the house, but am too crippled up to go looking. But probably still a viable area. Trilobites are rarer here, but huge hill of fossilized trilobite poo poo exists just before you get into Kingsland, Texas on Hwy 1431(I think). Fossils? I have heard yes and know. Never looked. Hope this helps some. By the way, I live in San Antonio, Texas...

Ninjafossils

Dec 18, 2012
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Tesoro Compadre
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
You should see about chartering a trip to the niobrara chalk of Kansas. The best marine fossils in America, possibly the world. And that includes ammonites.

JYOU18

Greenie
Feb 8, 2015
Utah
Detector(s) used
Discovery 3300
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I know 2 spots in emery county utah. 1 is well known, the other I found and is virgin territory. There are also clams and invertebrates as well as organics like wood and leaves. These are all in the mancos shale.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread