Where is the best place to buy a coin tumbler?

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in luck. They are on sale for $29.99.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I think a lot of folks here like the one from Harbor Freight Tools. If you get the two drum model, you can tumble your dimes/nickels at the same time as your pennies and your silver won't turn pink from the pennies.

www.HarborFreight.com

1-800-444-3353

Hope it helps.

coinking

Sep 24, 2007
Bemidji, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I'm reading all kinds of methods to get cheap tumblers, but would recommend spending a few more bucks to get a good one. I do much lapidary work, and nothing beats the "Thumler's Tumbler" for long life and great results. They (I now have 2 of them, with 3 barrels) have been running 24/7 for years, and have yet to replace any parts. Have heard a lot of horror stories about cheap tumblers, and my own family has had young children give up on using them after having them start fires, break belts, etc.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Not to mention that the Hobba Frate 2-drum tumbler drums stink of creosote. A lot.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please more info on tumblers. Where can I get a Thumler, Tumbler and how much are they? heh, heh

Keep @ it and HH!!

R

robert roy

Whats wrong with the little one that WalMart sells. I've heard some people say they have luck with those.

Also, how do these tumblers work. Is there some kind of abrasive like sand, used in the tumbler?

Robert Roy

coinking

Sep 24, 2007
Bemidji, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hi, Robert. The easiest way to explain the WalMart tumbler is the fact that it has a very limited warranty - if instructions are closely followed, it will run out before your first batch is done! In fairness, it would probably be fine for coin use, but is definitely subpar for long runs. Motor burnout and belts breaking are common problems. My Thumlers run all year long (I have 3 of them for rock tumbling) and I have had no problems at all. Lortone also makes a very good tumbler. Vibratory tumblers may be another good option, and there are many on eBay that run less than $50. Commonly used to clean parts, jewelry, etc. I'll be getting one soon for special rock and gem polishing.

EBCIII

Jul 24, 2007
I just ordered a Lortone tumbler. I hope to get it next week. They are a bit more expensive than the harbor freight models. I am hoping that in the long run it will pay for it self, Beale.

Ascholten

Jul 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
For tumbling coins, which is a few hour ordeal at most, the harbor freight ones will do fine, and last years, mine has so far. If you are doing lapridary work, then yes get a real tumbler, as it will stand the 4 to 5 weeks of continuous running in that instance.

I find that vibratory cleaners do good as well, with a little corn cob in them. like used for cleaning bullet casings. Dillon sells them with a lifelong no BS guarantee they call it, if it breaks for any reason, they don't care what reason, they fix it give you a new one free. The prices are not that bad either.

Aaron

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
I bought a Thumler's Tumbler at a second-hand shop for $15 dollars (two barrel) and it worked like new. That was by far the best buy I think I have ever made. Check out garage sales, you might be surprised.

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I own a single barrel Lortone unit and a two barrel Harbor Freight (Chicago Tools) unit. The problem with the Harbor Freight ( I just bought it last week) is that the drums have a very strong, offensive odor.

It appears to work OK and I can use my Lortone drums on it ( I have two), but the two drums from Harbor Freight have been banished to the back yard to air out. Several cleanings with various products such as ammonia and alcohol did not seem to help very much. Also used an anti bacterial spray on it.

I do not know if all the tumblers from Harbor Freight have this problem but I do know that I am not the only one who is having this smelly problem.

Just my two cents.

Ray S.

Airborne80

Bronze Member
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT Classic
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought one from Harbor Freight to use with rocks. If I use it for coins, do I use the same solution that I would use for rocks? I thought that the tumbler would come with the solution but I guess I need to by grit or something.

shane41

Sep 7, 2006
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 . Bounty Hunter, Vibra Probe 570 Garrett Pin Pointer AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a nice one for Christmas. My wife ordered it from Kellyco. Cleaned close to 500 Pennies the last few weeks. Works like a charm. No smell with the rubber drum at all. Hope this helps you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread