Where is the best place to look for caches

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
On an old farm, sometimes the farmer would bury his cache where it would be hidden but he could still keep an eye on it. Some of those places are chicken coops (late at night the chickens would make a lot of noise), straight out the kitchen window, at the base of the big tree with a nail in it, the corner of a fence, etc. There are several other places where he could have hidden something. Hope it helps.

red

Feb 17, 2005
Lexington, Texas
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ70, Garrett 500
If the house is standing check out the pier and beams under it in reaching distance.
Buried in the barn.
And kids buried catches all the time it just might not be gold.
Evrwhere is a good place to look just some are better.
Have fun counting your finds.
Red

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Darren,
That was an incredable story! I would have no reason to doubt that it wasn't true. Does anyone know what happen Beek? Has he been back to the forum? Was it him selling a part of the Star spangled banner?

really all I can say is WOW! I love being a treasure hunter!!!!!

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Toby, sometimes they would pull up a fence post, put in the cache, then replace the post ( called posthole bank) , some oldtimers didn't trust banks.

idigdirt

Mar 15, 2006
Epworth, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Compass xp-pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Toby, Take it from an old time researcher. Newspaper archives can be a gold mine of information. Hope it helps you!

OP
OP
Pulltab Parson

Pulltab Parson

Jan 20, 2007
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, White's Prizm III, White's Bulls-eye Pinpointer II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That would be a fitting end to a great story!!

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both caches I found last year stemmed from information.
The first was an old gentleman that had sold off a large area of land, had the money, then died.
You can search banks/building societies etc in the U.K. for lost assets. This turned up nothing for the family.
Then even had a local metal detecting club search the grounds of the old family home.
Matters became urgent when surviving relatives decided the property had to be sold.

Ended up I was driving half way across the country searching for three or four days then retuning home.
The garden had dozens of tin cans, old paint cans buried in it. I had switched from ordinary detectors to a P.I. for extra depth and just in case the hoard if there was one could be in a metal container.
I checked drains, removed part of the kitchen, emptied the water tanks etc etc.
Using black light I checked the walls. A repaired section in the attic space also signalled metal so I drilled the area and hacked out a square. Behind was a large tin. After I could get my hands round it it felt heavy. More hacking and out it came.
Fanfare of trumpets...
It was full of galvanised nails. I was sick. My wife said thats it, you've spent two much time , fortune on fuel etc etc.
Searching woodland behind the property turned up modern scrap and a few Victorian copper coins then a purse loss of 22 gold Sovereigns.
This was enough to make me return. The woodland had little more to offer and the coins don't seem to be related to what I was looking for.
Last days house search meant another hole hacked into a wall and success. Family fortune recovered.
I got my share and more important a couple more invites to look for similar caches where older members of family's were thought to have hidden their wealth.
One was a no go. The other produced silver and gold coins and all the gold jewellery that had past down the family over the years.

I've had several 'normal' hoards over the years but they are a case of sheer luck. You either walk over them or you don't. Anything in a property that has been lived in for a few hundred years is a real challenge due to the amount of metal rubbish that builds up.

CDMakaKvM

Greenie
Dec 24, 2006
This quote is from KvM's THM#6 and is probably about as accurate as you can get on where to look for caches', "EVERYWHERE"! If you think about it for a while, you'll see it's true. ;D

BLACKFOOT

Jan 17, 2007
Heavener oklahoma
Detector(s) used
fisher gold bug2
Gardens are good because no one would think any thing about a person digging there .In the old days they did not have tillers.Guineas make good watch animals they also eat ticks.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI, never overlook a corral, especially in turbulent times. Easiest to shallowly bury something quickly and by far easier to hide the evidence of your digging. Reason is obvious.

Don Jose de La Mancha Tropical Tramp Till Eulensoeigle etc.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my neck of the woods (MISSOURI) we have an abundance of caves. This area was lawless throughout the civil war as well as for several years after. I know of several caches that have been found in such caves...Steve

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Caches are the Bread & Butter of Pro Treasure Hunters! Instead of looking for the "Famous Will o Wisp Treasures",
which may or may not of ever existed, there are thousands of small & large caches buried all over the World! Don't forget that $20 buried a hundred years ago in the then, Coin of the Realm, is worth many times that amount now!
My .2 worth!
HH Joe

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Caches are not necessarily old. A relative mine died and when his widow was cleaning out the house and barn in preparation for the property to be sold, they were finding paper money everywhere. In the refrigerator in the barn, in the tool chest, in the well house, etc. etc. A lot of people who lived through the Great Depression got used to 'stashing' the little money they had and the habit just continued on into prosperous times. Unlike the young of today, who spend, spend, spend, even what they don't have, those old timers 'saved' , it became a habit or maybe even an obsession. I would guess that many 'caches' are out there because the person got sick and died without telling the secret that they had stashed money. Best place to look I think would relate to any site where there was a sudden death. Good place to start looking is old obituaries and then connect the sudden death to a place.

goldenrulefarm

Greenie
Mar 20, 2007
The best and the worst sources are people. Some lie and some tell the truth. I also agree that newspapers are great sources. Don't forget local and state history books. I believe that the first person really want to known where in buildings and outside on their lands, where people hid their caches.

Connecticut Sam

[email protected]

S

stander

A friend sets up estate sales and has found cash in all sorts of places. The most was $24,000 behind a closed off heat register in the bathroom. Others have been in the outbuildings, books, church envelopes, junk drawers and numerous other places. The old saying goes "Treasure is where you find it."

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions