Where not to stash your cash

Rubicon

Feb 9, 2007
Northeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Pro
People will hide money anywhere.

ADDIS ABABA (AFP) - An Ethiopian farmer who stashed his life savings of more than 12,000 dollars in a haystack has lost almost one-third of the deposit to rats who gnawed it away, state media said Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

The 52-year-old farmer from central Ethiopia, whose name was not given, preferred the straw pile for fear of losing his riches in case fire broke out in his house.

"Some 35,000 (3,804 dollars) of the 114,000 birr (12,391 dollars) which was hidden by a farmer in hay near his house ... was devoured by rats," the Ethiopian News Agency (ENA) reported.

ENA said the man, who spurned repeated advice to use a bank instead, found out three weeks after he deposited the cash that he had lost part of it to the stealthy vermins.

"Though he was advised to deposit his money in a bank, he refused to do so for a long time," ENA added.

The agency did not say whether the farmer had changed "banks" after the rat raid.

Hemisteve

Feb 21, 2008
N. Nevada
Detector(s) used
Goldmaster V/Sat and MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't hide it where I do. Because if you do, I will know where to find it! :icon_jokercolor:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And don't hide it in the freezer compartment of your refrigerator. According to police, that's the first place burglars look. :-\

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My mothers father kept some of his cash between the garbage can and the trash bag in his house. I remember when I was 8 years old my mom asking him why he hid it like that and he said who takes out the bag of garbage out of a trash can to find money? I guess he had a point, but my thought would be someone other than him taking out the trash would find some spending money!

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy I work with who is Phillipino told me that a relative of his used to stash is money in the attic in the Phillipines.
He said over a period of many years, the money disintegrated due to the humidity.
He also told me as kids, they used to cut a small slot in the sections of growing bamboo in the back yard and put coins into the slots.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Don't hid money in clothing or books. An elderly person in my friends family went to a nursing home and the relatives donated this persons stuff to the thrift store. The nursing home wanted to know about the guys assets and he told the family where he hid thousands of dollars around the house. Ops, to late, the family donated most of the items where the money was hiding before this conversation. They went back into the house and found only about a couple of thousand dollars which was suppose to be a fraction of what the old man hid in the house.

The moral of this story is to pay attention to where YOU hide things and where other family members might hide valuable. Some people lead on like their slightly better off then a vagrant while hoarding all sorts of wealth around the house. If researching a house(family member or other wise), look for possible clues to the fact that some people did NOT trust banks or the government for storing their wealth.

Look for clues like the person was raised by a family member in the depression or post depression era mind set. My family still has that mind set today.

slowreaper

Feb 11, 2007
Turners Falls MA
Books def. not a good idea.
My ex stashed a $100 bill in an old encyclopedia which I didn't know about, I sold the set at the petaluma flee market for
$10....
I have found a couple stashes of cash in envelopes taped inside the radiant heat covers...
Brad

TURNMASTER

Oct 13, 2009
Spokane WA
Detector(s) used
X-terra 705, Explorer SE, & At Pro
My stepdads aunt was "disposing" of an old lady old purses in a bonfire when a gold coin jumped out at her. As it turns out the people who bought the house found $20000 plus sewn into the linings of coats and curtians, cloaths and what not. I have not yet gotten permision to hunt that property.

This took place during the early 70s. Before I was in school even.

True Story
Jeff

K

Kentucky Kache

slowreaper said:
Books def. not a good idea.
My ex stashed a $100 bill in an old encyclopedia which I didn't know about, I sold the set at the petaluma flee market for
$10....
I have found a couple stashes of cash in envelopes taped inside the radiant heat covers...
Brad

A book may not be a good place to hid bills, but it sounds like an excellent place to look for them. :wink:

cedarratt

Nov 14, 2004
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
See this is why Coin currency is better then Paper currency!!!

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
Don't hide money in the bank either, as often as they fail!
Rich

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
The banks were never on my mind as a hiding place for money. They report your account activity to the IRS for taxes. I have all sorts of hiding places for money and valuables that can be converted to cash instantly. Bank accounts and safe deposit vaults are NOT on that list.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread