Where Should I Buy Bags of Silver?

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My paranoia level is up a bit about this country and the value of the dollar. I want to start purchasing $100 face value bag of mixed silver coins with no nuismatic value. I just want the content of the silver to be what I am paying for.
I think the people on forums like this have the experience to share what they have discovered and I would be anxious to hear what your experiences and opinions are. Thanks...Jim

OP
OP
grumpyolman

grumpyolman

Jul 18, 2008
Raymond, WA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac - Tiger Shark - Ace 250 - Fisher 1280-X - White's Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live on the west side and am at least 3 hours from Seattle. I am about half way between Seattle and Portland.
Why would I want to buy from a coin shop? From my rookie research it sounds to me like a good place to get ripped off.
I am coin roll hunting as well as metal detecting. They are both just hobbies. I do want to get some silver only as a bottom line protection to survive the collapse of paper money and clad.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
grumpyolman said:
I live on the west side and am at least 3 hours from Seattle. I am about half way between Seattle and Portland.
Why would I want to buy from a coin shop? From my rookie research it sounds to me like a good place to get ripped off.
I am coin roll hunting as well as metal detecting. They are both just hobbies. I do want to get some silver only as a bottom line protection to survive the collapse of paper money and clad.
Grumps, you don't have to get ripped off by coin shops. Just decide what you want to pay ahead of time. There is a dealer near me where I have bought Morgan dollars and have got a decent deal. I would never sell to this dealer tho.
I have bought volume junk silver coin from another dealer (when melt was lower), and got a good deal, right around melt value. You just have to shop around.
I have noticed private buyers on Craigslist trying to rip people off @ 7-8 X face, while local dealers and other buyers are offering 12-13 X face. ffd

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread