Where should I go?

revkg55

Aug 13, 2005
So, story goes that I've always been pretty interested in metal detecting... the problem is that I've never had the resources or money to really get into it. Today I was talking with my teacher, and he said he'd let me borrow his metal detector for a weekend. Granted, that's only 2 days and I wouldn't expect to find anything spectacular, but I think it'd be a fun time for me to go out with some friends and see what we come across.

I live in central Wisconsin, and I've been searching on the internet for a good long while hoping to find a good resource on where to go. I'm incredibly interested in America's military history, but unfortunately I live in a state which hasn't seen a whole lot of action in that respect. I know the Black Hawk War was partially in Wisconsin, but I'm not sure where I'd be able to go and poke around. I'm asking if anybody has any resources or ideas for where I could go for a weekend trip? I'm only going to be in Wisconsin until mid-June, as I'm graduating high school (hoorah!) and moving to Oklahoma for school.

So... any suggestions? Doesn't have to be military related, but I'd much rather find something with some historical value than a penny from 1972! Granted, I'd be happy not finding anything... just looking for ideas! Thanks much!

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Forget the flashy historic sites; see if you can get permission at some old houses in your area; chances are you know someone who lives in such a house. You might be pleasantly surprised at what pops out of the ground in those yards. Just be sure to patch your holes nicely.

OP
OP
R

revkg55

Aug 13, 2005
Hey, thanks for the reply!

I'm actually going to a party this weekend at a friend's house that is supposed to be over 100 years old... I'll see if I can poke around there for a bit!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are you a member of a church. Always a good spot, especially ones that have had socials or picnics on the grounds in the somewhat distant past. Town parks are good. County parks (usually you need the blessing of the powers that be). School yards, playgrounds, picnic spots.

Be sure to have him 'splain the basics or you'll spend a lot of time trying to figure out the detector and not detecting.

SC_hunter

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites XLT,Ace 250 and BH Tracker IV and Others.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
revkg55.....For some reason I keep following Charlie and agreeing with him..lol I found schoolyards as a very good place to go and usually don't have to worry about getting run out as long as your schools aren't fenced in. Be sure to try the playgrounds also, wood chips are usually pretty easy to dig around in and not show large holes. Have fun and Happy Hunting.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't need to go to a historical site for military items. Check out the list of things (including the button for my avatar) that i found in parks and homes

1870's military button
1960's air force button
WWII cuff link button
WWII collar disk
Signalman's medal
coast guard medal
my sis found a National Defence university hat pin
3 musket balls that most likely date to the war of 1812 (i was a few miles from the battle site
a french WWII button

so you see, you can find many historical items thousands of miles from battle...and may i remind you i'm 15

Good luck

HH
-GC

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
how about river boat stops, logging camps, ghost towns, the copper culture was pretty spread out through the rivers in Wis. talking 2000 to 7000 years ago. start with your back yard

Shortround

Feb 28, 2007
Castlewood, Virginia
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Sovereign GT Sunray S1 Probe
Hey Charlie - better watch out, the cops are following you :D

Anyway, all the above is very sound advice. Just do not get discouraged when you find that 1972 penny, or all the inevitable pulltabs you will dig. Dig all your targets. The main thing is to have fun. Good luck and happy hunting!

OP
OP
R

revkg55

Aug 13, 2005
Wow! Lots of replies... thanks guys!

I do attend a church, an old Presbyterian church that recently celebrated it's 110th anniverary just last year... maybe I should check around there! I appreciate all the input and tips, right now my main focus is passing my orienteering class, haha... I have to design an orienteering course on this big park and set it up at the crack of dawn tomorrow. Should be a jolly good time!

Once again, thanks much!

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
Sounds like your church would be the best. Obtain permission, ask where they held gatherings (socials, picnics, etc) I hunt one next to me and although it has been hunted very heavy, I still find a relic or $. Another church had the old tent revival meetings, ice cream socials, outdoor services, etc. Dig all signals and you'll find what you are looking for. Don't be frustated with the pop tabs, tin foil and pull tabs, the junk is only hiding the good stuff.

HH let us know how your hunt goes...pics are always welcome

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread