where to buy DFS sluice ?

JayeLK

Greenie
Feb 15, 2005
I think his site is down due to server trouble.

If my memory serves, they were designed, or built, by Phil (NM) on this site, or Phil(NM) on another popular site. You might try searching for variations on that username and emailing him through the various fora if his username is still active.

JayeLK

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
you can contact Phil over on nmprospectors@yahoogroups. thats his site. he had turned over the DFS manufactoring/selling of this great sluice to Allan. but it seems Allan has been not very vigilant in watching/selling these sluices. give Phil a shout and say Russau sent you over there.

OP
OP
Z

z.daniel88

Feb 17, 2012
Richmond IN
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
yea the website is dead...i just sent phil and email and hopefully i get a reply soon. heard its the best for the type of gold round these parts. thanks for the replies!

Astrobouncer

Jun 21, 2009
Most modern sluices will catch comparable gold its just down to the operator to set them up right. An experienced prospector can catch sub 100 mesh with just about any kind of sluice, with minimal losses. Drop riffles, Hungarian riffles, vortex matting, ribbed rubber matting, raised expanded metal riffles, fluid beds (gold traps), all these are fine for fines, it just comes down to how you setup the equipment and how fast they will process the material.

However, with that said, you really should look into a fluid bed sluice. I have tried and built all the sluices out there except the sidewinder, and nothing else even comes close for processing gravels and retaining the fines. Clay is a little more difficult to work with for a fluid bed but there are solutions for that as well. The only caveats about fluid beds are they will work you to death, and they will require constant shoveling out from behind them. You can pretty much nonstop shovel into one like a highbanker if you got the flow for it. As you can see most of my equipment is homemade, so I don't make any money off promoting fluid beds, I just like showing people there are better ways.

Checkout the fine gold I was finding here with my custom fluid bed. In another spot I have also setup another sluice behind my fluid bed and found nothing but a couple sub 150 mesh in the back sluice, while the fluid bed easily had over 500 pieces of fines in it.

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Astro for the videos !

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the "Popandson" sluice box design is based on the principles of the DFS sluice. Steve Gaber the (Pop) of the "Popandson" is a great guy and did a lot of tests with his design and came up with one of the best and affordable (cost effective) sluice boxes out there. He helped me in building one of my first sluices and was -and still- generous enough with his time and expertise to help me and others who want to learn how to build and run the fine gold sluices. :thumbsup:

He chooses not to use slick plates on his "Popandson" sluices , instead prefers a catchment medium (e.g Miners Moss or any lining material) right after the header box.

You can search for ("Popandson" fine gold sluice) online there's plenty of info about them including videos. He doesn't sell these only sharing plans and mentoring about building and using these if you're interested.

Good Luck ! :hello:

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an Archived parts of the DFS site to give you some of the historical info ; it's on the Internet Archive:

Damn Fine Sluice

Gelmac

Apr 30, 2012
Sudan
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 705 Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read somewhere else that Phil Hontz "Phil (NM)" of New Mexico has said the website I provided the link for in the above post, was Alan's website (Alan was a former partner of Phil). They have had partied ways along time ago.
Phil was and still an inventive and helpful person. Way to go Phil !

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions