Where To Dig Dirt ...

Popeye

Aug 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all let me apologize if this has been addressed in other threads as looked but its a bit of a newbie question.

Ok so took my first trip to a lovely little local creek and once I got there was not really sure which 'dirt' to work with, let me explain.

Most of our local creeks/rivers are granite rock with course granite sand under and on sides of active flow level.

So first thing I tried was digging behind bends in the creek and behind boulders in and next to the water flow and sluicing the gravel sand through my sluice with no luck. The problem with the sluice is that the creek I picked was too steep and was basically water hopping from one pool to next with nowhere to properly setup the sluice to get angle and flow.

But, me real question is this, should I be panning the granite sand with little to no brown dirt visible in it or as I decided to do, try digging along the banks where there were visible river round rocks embedded in the actual dirt. I have seen this done on videos before and seems like a good place. I took a couple of buckets home to hand pan but havent done it yet.

Are the two places I attempted both viable for gold or one better than other?

goldnrelics

Apr 1, 2013
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortés, Tejón, Cibola, Cutlass II, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Killer Bee's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
best is to just test the material in different areas. i've had good luck digging on the banks where the gold washes up on after a heavy rain, Good luck!

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the net popeye. Test first. If the granite material has not black sand move on. Test and work the round river rock material. Look for cevises and cracks in the granite bedrock if it is visible. Other wise you seem to know where to look. BTW, I will gladly pay you Teusday for a hamberger today.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working by hand predicates you work where mother nature and time have already done the bulk of the hard work for you. Bedrock makes your world go around as at least 90+% of concentrated paystreaks are on/near bedrock. Preclassify to assist in fines retention. With a zillion new toys out can't say a specific sizing but 1/2" usually is sufficent for a run,then check tailings with a pan to double check. Work smarter and NOT harder. Cracks,crevices,indentations is where a hand miner needs to be-John

NorCalMining

Greenie
Jul 29, 2013
To agree with B H prospector yes search gor heavy concentrations of black sand because thats where the gold will be. Though not always the case, i have a claim in Georgetown, Ca and I find pickers all the time and not much black sand in the area. You really just need to sample different areas in yhe river and along the rickpiles along the river. Typically you will get flood gold within the top 14 inches

TheNewCatfish

Mar 4, 2011
When i arrive in a new area, the first thing i do is look for signs of recent prospecting. Holes on the highbank,(especially ones with the rocks thrown back in). Dry feeder creek beds with holes dug down to bedrock, ect, ect. The point is, NOBODY GETS IT ALL. Weekend "Gorilla Miners" are very sloppy. They seldom clean out a hole properly before leaving it. Any pre-dug hlole is worth taking a wisk broom and dust pan to it. I bought a small hand held portable wet vac on sale for $9 dollars at BIG 5 Sporting Goods for exactly this purpose, and it has payed for itself many times over. If a dig sight isn't posted with a sign.. it's FAIR GAME. Sometimes "Gold is where YOU find it".. And sometimes "Gold is where SOMEBODY ELSE found it"..

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
100_2411.JPG

100_2417.JPG
100_2418.JPG
100_2419.JPG

who can see the prospects?
probably the diggings that led to discovery of minerals in Jerome mining district.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread