where to find arrow heads

tjs5

Dec 29, 2008
Upvote 0

Mudonmyshoes

Jul 16, 2008
Tj,

What city do you live in? I grow up in Warren moved near Milford. Never hunted for artifacts until we move last year down to NC. It's a blast. The kids and I go at least twice a week. If you let me know the area you live in maybe I can help. I know a lot of creeks and rivers I would check if we still lived there. Thanks....Mud

P

pickaway

I have better luck hunting smaller creeks that you can walk.I also like to walk upstream.Look in any plowed fields const. sites.Ask around.What you seek is there...

OP
OP
T

tjs5

Dec 29, 2008
i live in livonia. thanks for the replies. i might try a nearby stream once it warms up a bit

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
TJS5,
Don't be afraid to ask around about known excavation sites (which are usually very near old established waterways). Locals will usually offer up information readily to respectable surface hunters. Once you latch on to a site, work it till the cows come home. You may find only flakes, etc., but this will sharpen your archeology eyes and get you thinking about artifacts other than the idealized arrowhead that most think of. Also, you'll learn to zero in on flint and other lithic reduction. Be patient, and expect to find something--you eventually will!

southern1020

Greenie
Jan 25, 2009
While walking the river banks, I to pick up all flint flakes. Last week, I picked up a nice flint arrowhead and a broken half that I thought was just a flake. By picking up the flakes you are training your eye. Good Luck..

Attachments

• Flint.jpg
    Flint.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 393

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Littlejohn,
Good point. I've thrown down many times a piece of flint only to pick it up again and see that it was a bird point or scraper. Especially my first year out. While it may be controversial, I tend to latch onto anything of interest. You can always return to rocks to the area when you've determined that they are of no interest (I've actually done this). For interest, I've attached a photo of what would at first glance to be trash. If you'll look closer, notice the several pieces of pottery, broken points, and scrapers. Also, numerous flint flakes. The important thing is to continue looking. Then, research what you've found. There are numerous places (such as this) where identification can be made.
Good luck!
docmann

Attachments

• Misc1.GIF
    Misc1.GIF
    300.2 KB · Views: 1,656

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread