kelowna, bc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
For a home-built sluice, best spot to get directions might be YouTube. There are
many simple designs you can build, but in all honesty saving up a few $ and buying
a proven gold-catcher could make for a better investment.

Plenty of placer gold available in your region, although you may have to do
some hunting for it, but then again that's half the fun!

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea...you can get a proven gold catcher for 75 bucks. Dont see how building your own and most likely catching less gold is a good idea.

Hard Prospector

Aug 29, 2012
SO CAL
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Monster, Sierra Gold Trac, GB2, the Falcon......and just as many drywashers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I will touch on the pans/sluices that work for me in the prospecting that I most often do. You will need other tools as well, but I'm sure other prospectors will jump into this thread. If you have no panning experience; the Gold Grabber gold pan(mini) makes panning as easy as it gets and the Garrett Super Sluice(its actually a big 14" round pan with deep riffles) really moves the material and I carry both if space allows. This year I switched to the Bazooka Super Mini(fluid bed) sluice and it works great. It just eats up the material and no wasted time classifying but, it needs a lot of water flowing through it and a steep angle to work efficient. The Angus MacKirk "Recon" drop riffle was my front line sluice for a long time and I almost sold it until I realized that it works better than the Bazooka in slow current, low flow streams. But back to classifying so if I have to do it; 1/2" to 1/4" into a five gallon bucket(wet) and I call it good. Many prospectors classify down further which is better but I can only carry so much in my pack and besides, I hope to never have to screen gravel again.

B H Prospector

Feb 2, 2010
Black Hills, South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome alz,
Hard Prospector had some good suggestions. As you get mor involved you will find that you will need several different sluices for different situations. No one sluice does it all but there are some that will work in most situations. I also classify only 1/2 or 1/4 but I do it dry as my claims are either dry or on a high bench. If you want to build a sluice find Astrobouncers thread in these forums on his homemade drop riffle sluice. You will learn alot in here so start reading.

Good Luck!

BH Prospector

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Homemade tend to be heavier, lower gold recovery and in the end more expensive than you think. I suggest starting with a medium/small plastic sluice which will be nice to have around later as you get further into this hobby for low water situations and long pack-in situations. Go to your local prospecting shop to learn what works in your area and buy from them. The local advice you get will likely be worth more than the sluice!

Ps like hard processor, I have an angus Mackirk and a Bazooka (Prospector model in my case) and find that both have their place where they shine.

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a used metal sluice and pan and save the cash man. Wood is sooo expensive,heavy,soaks up water and gets heavier and then as a reward for all your diligence,it falls apart. Join a local yokel club FAST,save money,learn a ton of info fast and start having fun now as summer is running away. Out west the waters about gone too-bummer-John

jcazgoldchaser

May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
greetings all,

I am very new to the panning/sluicing lifestyle and want to get started soon.
I was going to build a simple sluice box. something I can carry easily.

can anyone offer suggestions on where to get started?
pictures of your setups would be appreciated. :thumbsup:
thank you.
Watch this how to video

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread