where to go?

Apr 6, 2009
I am wanting to take my little brother for a couple days looking/digging/exploring. He is graduating highschool this year and has a keen interest in history and archeology. I am hoping to take him where we can nose and around and find some things more of historical value than monetary. Of couse monetary value would not be rejected.....Does anyone have any ideas? We live in Wisconsin and I was leaning toward Civil War areas like Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee etc. This means it is a one time trip and it is not my intention to encroach on anyone's "territory" for more than a couple of days.

Any input would be appreciated.

M

michigan michael

Good luck on finding a good location. Just make sure you get permission if it is on private property. Check the Sate forums on here. They may be of more help. Hope you guys have a great time!

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
You might want to post on relic/Civil War specific forums. Or post on forums for the particular states you might visit & see if anyone is willing to share some sites or can direct you to research sites.

One intersting site is www.hometownlocator.com Not relic/Civil War specific, but it has ghost towns & near ghost towns, locations of post offices & railroad stations that have been torn down. It also has a map of anywhere that allows you to select what features you want the street map to show. They also have relatively recent aerial views & topo maps.

If you wanted to find some historical sites in WI, I saw a 1850's WI gazeteer online a few years ago. Pretty sure it was on cyndislist. HH, George (MN)

urdaboss

Nov 15, 2009
kissimmee fl
Detector(s) used
white's classic lll SL minelab excalibur II Explorer-s
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
where in wis are you from? i had a place south of rockford il. i found an old indian trading post but only had a radio shack unit. found a few coins and pick. if you are close to that i would send you a map. good luck, urdaboss

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread