PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The water is the way to go. That's where you'll find the most jewelry. :D

kladdhunden

Apr 25, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my personal opinion is if u have a scoop and a water detector i would go water.
The few beaches i visited alot and know like the back of my hand I like to hunt "Dry sand"/dune line/towel line alot as im finding some really good stuff but water has better good find/junk ratio.

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can agree there. On the beach is where the junk is. Must have dug 60-70 pull tabs today and no jewelry. $4-5 in clad and not much else. In the water is far less trash, but slower recovery. Give and take with everything in detecting though. Next outing will be all water during low tide.

Cory

JustKeepDigging

May 2, 2013
Jupiter, FL
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
PRL-1 Whites, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can agree there. On the beach is where the junk is. Must have dug 60-70 pull tabs today and no jewelry. $4-5 in clad and not much else. In the water is far less trash, but slower recovery. Give and take with everything in detecting though. Next outing will be all water during low tide. Cory

I know how that is! I've been detecting for little over 5 months now and all I use to do was detect the dry. I've found 3 sliver rings, sliver necklace, and a few sliver charms. The very first day I've ever hit the water I found this. So in my experience , Hit the water!!! :)

Attachments

• image-662915666.jpg
    image-662915666.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 91

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Water for me. A lot less crap and you get cooled off at the same time.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They both can be productive, I the odd is up or waves are big I'll hit dry and work my way out to water as tide going out, sometimes water is a tough go, depending on the weather, for me at least. Starts pushing over 3ft waves I'm being tossed about like a bobber, but I am a skinny little lad.

68GTOFINDER

Nov 21, 2013
St. Louis, Mo
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard time in water searches. Mainly because once you dig hole is filled with dirty water. Can't see your find as easy. Harder to locate.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's largely a "conditional" situation. My area beaches are absolutely slammed all summer long, tons of people in the water, but "very few" quality finds are made in the water during the summer. The reason for this is the constant surf that is constantly stirring the extremely deep soft sand, which quickly swallows most anything heavy/dense with little surface area deep into Davy Jone's locker. So even though it may look like an absolute treasure trove out there in the summer it seldom produces anything other then extremely recent drops as one tide change is all it takes to send these items too deep to be detected. Your best bet is to learn every inch of your beaches, i.e., know where the firmer sections of beach are at, which portion of the beach is subject to what, and how, once the sand starts moving. It does us little good to keep swinging our coils over gold we can even reach. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I have it pretty good considering conditions. It's usually smooth as glass as it's about 1/4 mile out that the water breaks into the reef. From the reef to the beach is all sand that is medium firm. I still run into digging some holes that tend to fill. On top of that there are only a couple mders in my area. I have had ok luck on the beach but there are allot or pull tabs. Found a little silver and mostly quarters. Found a 500yen piece yesterday. Beach is easy to located hut more trash. Key is to hit the water at low tide it sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Bejamble

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another day at the beach. More silver and a titanium. All finds were within 10 feet of the low tide mark.

Cory

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Water is where the gold is.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly every beach I've ever hunted seems to have its "hot spots" - those areas of the beach that just get used a lot more often then the rest of the beach. I'd probably start my water hunting in these locations once I discovered where they were at. I'd also pay attention to the bottom, make a mental note of any low spots, coral beds, etc. And I would be most certain to hunt small sections at a time in very tight grids with overlapping coil sweeps. Those rings are typically less then an inch in diameter so it only takes an inch of sand to hide them. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread