WHERE TO LOOK FOR CACHES

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
First off, you're in the right place already.

There's TONS of great information posted right here on this forum, start diggin'!

Thats not really meant to be a glib answer, but there's so many different spots to start there's no way someone could answer these questions in one post.

You'll get plenty of ideas by just reading on down the line in these forums. :)

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
alexfm said:
Where should i look for a cache? there are a couple of burnt down buildings in my town and they are all relatively old (1960s and back). But im not sure fi i can get on the prperties. Also, what kind of metal detector is good for a beginner like me?

Get a good detector and start looking at homes where people lived right after the depression. Most of the machines I hear good things about are MiniLabs, Whites, Tesoros, and Ace250s. I actually don't think I've heard anything bad about any of them. Some of them are more pricey than others so shop around if price is an issue. During and shortly following the depression is when a lot of people lost faith in the banks and started stuffing their mattresses and burying their money in the yard. Look at the home (if it's still standing), and the first place I would try would be something in view of a bedroom widow and near some sort of landmark (large rock, very old tree, old post and beam fence, chicken coop, shed etc.). Also bear in mind that caches are very hard to come by. You may hunt your whole life and never find one of significance. Most of us (including myself) can only dream.

Samuelben

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter lonestar/junior
I just started on christmas so i got a bounty hunter lone star,it is pretty good i have found a few coins the usual junk and a pocket knife.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
preistpower said:
I just started on christmas so i got a bounty hunter lone star,it is pretty good i have found a few coins the usual junk and a pocket knife.

heard good things about them too

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
There are also a # of books that give some good ideas as to where to start. "Search" by James R. Warnke
is one. Most caches put down were relatively small and could be contained in a pretty small area. A person could and usually made one or two that was easier to get to in an emergency whilst another might be held onto for the long term and added to when nobody was likely to see them. FYI, people haven't changed...they're still caching.

treasureace14

Dec 28, 2007
Detector(s) used
ace250
I've never found one, but if I were to make a cache, it would have to have the following characteristics:

1. It would have to be in a place where I could access it without being observed.
2. It would have to be in a place where I would not be noticed coming and going, that is, a place I would frequent anyway.
3. It would have to be in a place that other people did not frequent, and could not come and go unnoticed.
4. It would have to be easily accessed for deposits and withdrawls.
5. It would not necessarily be buried.

Thus, under the anvil in the barn, in the rafters in the chicken coop, behind a loose stone in the fireplace (inside the house, and not in the firebox) and thousands of other places would be suitable locations. :P

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caches can be found anywhere. You have to look for the main ingredient......history of wealthyness. In order to bury a cache you have to have more money than you need, unless it was stolen. That is when research comes into play.

I have been taken to ruins in the mountains, that belonged to peasants. The real finds occur around the landlord's ( who employed the peasants) house structures.

A cache would have to be buried in an area that can be monitored from the house(if outside). Inside the house, walls, floors, ceilings and specially inside steps.

In clean areas, without much junk, a loop detector will work fine. In trashy places (nails, etc) a two box can be used to mark possible targets to later go over with the loop detector.

Gilbert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions