Where to look for gold coins...

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Cheasapeake, James River, The Hudson. Many old seafaring ports have HUNDREDS of wooden boats on the bottom. Many literally at the (former) dock area. Many boats of the 1700's and 1800's were built with a gold coin under the (main) mast for good luck. They are still there! Except... heavy research is required and a scuba license is a plus. Learn WELL the metal fittings used on the old boats. You will very much want to know where the front and rear are (were). *ell, the fittings you find would be a nice collection direction too! TTC

FriscoT06

May 2, 2011
Hatteras Island, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II (retired), Minelab X-Terra 505
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
That is COOL! I can think of a few places..... need to save up for the water 'tector. Time to use that scuba cert! :icon_thumleft:

relichunters

Bronze Member
May 4, 2008
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
I went kayaking down the James not long ago, and also the Rockfish river too. (Which is connected to James)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
relichunters said:
I went kayaking down the James not long ago, and also the Rockfish river too. (Which is connected to James)
Lots of history there! I berthed (not birthed!) a large sailboat at the Muni docks across from the Navy ships awiiiiiile back. My nephew, Jim, stayed on it when he was a marine... teaching Navy Seals how to use those hard-bottomed inflatables a feeeew years back. Memories! Tnx, guys. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread