Where to look for gold? ---- Hydraulic Equivalence

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We just finished doing the final tests on the Gold Cyclone in commercial mode.
Best results yet and we’re going to ship it that way standard now.
(Been a long year.)

But… this picture REALLY helps people understand HYRAULIC EQUIVALENCE and
why gold often deposits with larger cobbles and gravels. Particles
that are hydraulically equivalent…. “size–density-shape relationship that governs the deposition of mineral particles from flowing water.”

We ran a gallon of cons that were screened roughly to 1/8”
Turned the unit up just about full power.
These are the only particles which remained.

Meaning………..
Even though their size, shape, and specific density may be different,
they are hydraulically equivalent and will deposit out of flow at the same time.
Keep this in mind when reading a river or creek.
There are also some good online studies about it… when you should
be cutting the grass or doing chores.
Doc

1962070_633395373381239_404590396_o.jpg

Upvote 0

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know Doc. I am in love with your mats. I just got my second order from you today, and re-ran some already ran material because I trust your mats more than expanded metal and carpet. But, after watching the videos on your cyclone, I am not convinced that the machine is any better or faster than a miller table. I understand the concept and can appreciate the engineering behind it, but..

OP
OP
G

goldhog

May 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know Doc. I am in love with your mats. I just got my second order from you today, and re-ran some already ran material because I trust your mats more than expanded metal and carpet. But, after watching the videos on your cyclone, I am not convinced that the machine is any better or faster than a miller table. I understand the concept and can appreciate the engineering behind it, but..

I'll be doing a video next week on a full run of raw cons.
From 1/4" down to fines.
It's fast.
We are now shipping in commercial mode which takes about 3-4 minutes per screen level.
The other thing to remember is that you are working ALL your cons.
You start at 1/4" and go down. So within 20 - 30 minutes you have 95 - 99% of your gold out.
Should be fun as we are running for gold and gems, and we'll do a run with the cyclone as well.

Last edited:

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I trust your mats more than expanded metal and carpet. But, after watching the videos on your cyclone, I am not convinced that the machine is any better or faster than a miller table. I understand the concept and can appreciate the engineering behind it, but..

Keith after building a Miller Table and running different mixed con I really like my Miller Table. Its fast, lite, portable, and accurate in retaining all gold. My Miller Table will be used in camp. Like you the Gold Hog Mats are the nuts in capturing the gold while the Miller Table takes the con and turns it into tangible gold.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT

Well shucks- Is there a water gravity gizmo that is SLOWER than a Miller table???? Blue bowl perhaps? All water gravity separators have weak points.
Miller tables require extreme classification which is incredibly time consuming. Classifying 100 mesh is not a fun activity. Each size batch should be run with different angles and different water flow. Spherical or granular gold has a tendency to run off the table. You don't run coarse material over a miller table.

So for recreational prospectors it is usually a time versus money issue. Inexpensive Blue bowls and Miller tables work but I wouldn't want to spend the time(days) necessary to run two 5 gallon buckets of cons with either one of them.

You have to keep on learning and have an open mind for new ideas on concentration.

George

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Miller tables require extreme classification which is incredibly time
consuming. Classifying 100 mesh is not a fun activity. Each size batch should be run with different
angles and different water flow. Spherical or granular gold has a tendency to run off the table.
You don't run coarse material over a miller table.

So for recreational prospectors it is usually a time versus money issue. Inexpensive Blue bowls and
Miller tables work but I wouldn't want to spend the time(days) necessary to run two 5 gallon buckets
of cons with either one of them.

I classify my cons into +30, -30, -50 and -100. The -30 to -100 all
runs on the miller table, and the larger material is hand panned.

FWIW, with two, 5 gal. buckets of cons I'd first run it all through the
Gold Cube, then take that super concentrate and run it on the miller
table; classified as noted above.

kazcoro

Feb 11, 2013
Glendale
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro, Gold Buddy drywasher, Black Magic, Pro Gold recirc, Custom highbanker/2.5" dredge, Roadrunner Member
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So for recreational prospectors it is usually a time versus money issue. Inexpensive Blue bowls and Miller tables work but I wouldn't want to spend the time(days) necessary to run two 5 gallon buckets of cons with either one of them.

You have to keep on learning and have an open mind for new ideas on concentration.

George

Yes, I am only speaking from my perspective. I am quite obviously different than a large scale operation. I couldn't imagine running anywhere near a full 5 gallon bucket of black sand through a miller table.

I DO keep my mind and ears open. I have a lot of respect for Doc. He is VERY helpful in the way he teaches and shows/backs up his reasonings/experience. He also seems like a helluva nice guy. That is why I use his mats in my wet classification tools. I am also slightly miffed when I see others copy his design. I checked out this Cyclone design, and the science behind the design is flawless, I just don't see the practical application for a small scale miner. Like myself.

Thanks for pointing out the other side of the coin for me George.

Kaz

AzViper

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2012
Arizona - Is there any other state worth visiting
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Nokta FORS Gold, Garrett ATX, Sun Ray Gold Pro Headphones, Royal Pick, Etc.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well shucks- Is there a water gravity gizmo that is SLOWER than a Miller table???? Blue bowl perhaps? All water gravity separators have weak points.
Miller tables require extreme classification which is incredibly time consuming. Classifying 100 mesh is not a fun activity. Each size batch should be run with different angles and different water flow. Spherical or granular gold has a tendency to run off the table. You don't run coarse material over a miller table.

George

I am running all sizes of gold with lots of flow in this test run of my new build in the first video and slowed it down in the second video.... In the second video it was just to see if the small gold would stick along with the bigger gold. Another options is not let you con (10gal.) grow in size and run your con more frequently

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread