Where to Look for mid 19th cent Store???????????

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
Hey there guys, I went back to the family farm for a while today ruffed it through the cold. Not really any great finds although it was still a blast. I know that there was a general store somewhere on the lower 40 acres of our farm just having trouble trying to locate more precise location of where it may have been. It was there from mid to late 1800's untill it burnt down. I would really appreciate any ideas on being able to locate this store whether it's online maps, internet, or even local research ideas. thanks alot birdy1976

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Re: Where to Look?????

Was the store associated with a town name or family name?

Check local libraby/society for photos of the area/business/store?

Google earth for location if not plowed and farmed over too badly?

Plated areas on old maps?

If you are willing to share the location I would be willing to help on-line research or look at airial views... I know myself and some others would love to try and help from our PCs...

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hope you find it. You might find a huge lump of silver melted together if they kept any money there. I found some once and it was only good for the silver content. You couldn't even tell it was silver just looking at it. It was just a glob of black metal but it cleaned up with a little effort. You could look for the old foundation of the store or the chimney. That might be your best bet.

OP
OP
birdy1976

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO

Hey I would appreciate any help. I don't know about family or County named or not but I can find out maybe tommorow from older family members. It was Located in Russell County,Ky 42642. It was located on my family farm at the intersection of N.hwy 127 and Jericho Rd., It is locally known as Webbs Crossroads Area. Now where Jericho rd. meets N.127 is our farm, Now across from Jericho Rd. on the other side of N.127 Is where Hwy 76 meets into N.127 now on that corner there was another store that took place of the one on our side on our farm after it burnt down. Now I can just barely remember the newer store it was there from early 1900's till probably early 1970's. Anything you could find out and let me know about and if you need or if i find out any more info on the older store I will pm you or you can me. If for some oddball chance that your info helps me and by some streak of pure dumb luck I find stuff that would amount to any extremely large amount of wealth I would consider your research as an investment into it's recovery, I know that this is unlikely however if it came to pass you will see that I hold my Word with the highest regard and will always honor that word. Thank you very much for offering. birdy1976

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Copy this and outline where your property is... and where you think the store may have been roughly.

Attachments

• birdy\'s place.jpg
    birdy\'s place.jpg
    149.1 KB · Views: 449

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

birdy1976 said:
If for some oddball chance that your info helps me and by some streak of pure dumb luck I find stuff that would amount to any extremely large amount of wealth I would consider your research as an investment into it's recovery, I know that this is unlikely however if it came to pass you will see that I hold my Word with the highest regard and will always honor that word. Thank you very much for offering. birdy1976

Keep your finds...

Post your pictures of the finds!

I'll help when and if I can... ain't no thing.

OP
OP
birdy1976

birdy1976

Mar 3, 2007
Russell Springs,KY
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 PRO
I hope this comes out ok and also hopes it may help you. Thanks again......

Attachments

• birdy\'s_place[1].JPG
    birdy\'s_place[1].JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 428

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Holy crap!

Man you need to just start walking and swinging! It looks like you already have a clue, and the area where you think the store is, thats small enough to just start anyplace and walk around till the nails start showing up! ;)

That's what I would do...

Anyway, that Google Earth pic was as clear as it got, so I'll try to get a better deal later on...

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Jim! Look for the nails..AND look for stones laying around in out of the way places...could have been part of the buildings structure.

Good luck! Nana :)

RedSpey

May 16, 2005
Eugene, OR
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Download TerraClient from online. Just google for it and you'll find the site. Enter the coordinates and it will give you maps and satellite pics (much better than GoogleEarth for rural sites). The pics will be black and white, but they're much clearer. You may be able to sight an old road or foundation.

Good luck!

RedSpey

JD007

Mar 11, 2007
PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Try this link http://www.rootsweb.com/~kyrussel/rc_hist_soc.html Hope this helps

nc-joe

Dec 1, 2006
Concord, NC
Detector(s) used
White's DFX and Minelab Explorer SE
Your local library should have historic land owner maps in their "map drawers". These generally give the location of the buildings on each persons property. If not, the old "insurance" maps of the county will for sure the building locations.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread