Where to MD legally in NC and other questions

dredre7

Greenie
Oct 31, 2005
Sanford, NC
I live in Fayetteville, NC and was wondering where can I hunt without needing permission?? I already assume parks and possibly public school property is ok but would like to know any others. Also I was wondering about abandoned property, if it's obvious no one is taking care of it, does anyone care if you start detecting on it? Or does this run into ethical issues?

I originally had a some kind Bounty Hunter TR detector when I was 14 but got rid of that quickly and gave up the hobby.? Then in 93 I bought a Garrett GTA 500?? I think, anyways, had a lot of fun with that one, hit this park in Spring Lake in a bad neighborhood and walked away with over a pound of clad but nothing deep but then I gave up that and sold it on Ebay.? Anyways, getting back in and bought a MPX in haste, before reading these forums, oops.? Suppose to receive it tommorrow and will give it a work out but it looks like I will be exchanging it for a Ace 250 if things don't go right, will let you know.? Also, any clubs in the area or anyone interested in getting together for hunting?

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Where to MD legally and other questions

SORRY,
? ?I'v got Nothing on North Carolina Regs.

You may wanna Check the LEGAL ISSUES Page.

I can tell you, Here in My area, PUBLIC PROPERTY is PUBLIC PROPERTY.

All Lands owned by Boroughs, Townships, & State Property, are OPEN.
STATE PARKS here are open, State game land here not, BUT, They Tell Me State Game land is NOT state Owned.

The ONLY exceptions are in LARGER cities,( State CAPITOL, County Seats) Where the Council People Listen to SPECIAL FACTIONS
like Archiologists, & State Historians.

All Rivers & Most? Creeks Also are Public, Which includes Paths along them, but, Asking is always Good, As some Landowners Don't Realize where their land ends.

IN SHORT, IF the area is Unfamiliar to you, as far as Regs, ASK.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? AsK the Land owner If Private Property.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? Ask The Grounds Keeper If Public Property.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ASK A COP. (My Favorite) as their the ones Comming for you IF your Not Allowed. and IF they tell you it is OK, & Later Find out it Isn't. The MOST they can do is Apologize to you? ;)

? ? GOOD LUCK
? ? ? ? ?jeff

P.S.
? ?In spite of What I read Here in the past, "EVERY PIECE OF LAND IS OWNED BY SOMEONE".
? ? ? ?This is NOT TRUE.
? ? ? I'v Been Going thru Tax Records, Street Be Street, Road, By Road, ETC. & I have found Tracks of Land With NO Owner. at least as far as "ON THE BOOKS". Of Course This Could be State Property , & they just Never Added it to the Books, With The Rest.

By the way.
? ? MOST ABANDOND RAILROADS
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? even the ones abandond for the last 80 or so years, are still listed as R.R. Property.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?The Fact They are Completly "ABANDOND" I search them Without Permission.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? As their Just Like walking on Dirt Roads Where No traffic ever goes.

OP
OP
dredre7

dredre7

Greenie
Oct 31, 2005
Sanford, NC
Well I discovered this morning that Fayetteville Schools don't allow persons on property after hours. Does anyone ever ask permission to hunt?

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
dredre,
Listen to Jeff, he knows what he's talking about.
We're somewhat divided on the question of asking permission. Many posters on here will tell you they always ask. many will say they seldom ask. Personally, I don't like trying to detect while looking over my shoulder. Would you want people coming on to your property without asking?
Read the posts over the last many months, see what the people who have lots of experience say, and check how many of the "I don't care, I'm digging" folks are here for a short while then gone.
Like everything else in life it ultimately comes down to your personal ethics.
(Man, do I get windy!)
Whatever you decide, good luck and remember to post finds(with pics if possible) and have fun.

grizzly bare

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
dredre,

Check out the Sandhills Gamelands.....Hoffman...Camp Mackall area. Lots of history in that area. Hunting days are Monday,Wednesday,and Saturdays....so any other days you have free range without worrying about getting shot. I've been a couple of times with some buddies from work and found some coins and old relics out in the middle of nowhere.

You can detect anywhere on the gamelands....just have to watch out for the federal land that you cannot.....and unfortunately thats where most of the goodies are from the old Camp Mackall base.

You definately need a 4x4 to get into most areas down there. The main roads are okay but if you get off on a side road without a 4x4 youre gonna get stuck.

OP
OP
dredre7

dredre7

Greenie
Oct 31, 2005
Sanford, NC
Thanks Zeke, matter of fact I was just out there last week for work wondering where the old garrison area is for Camp Mackall but didn't think about the gamelands. Was wondering if the MP's cared whether or not if you weren't destroying property. Anyways, got the 4wd too, will check it out, waiting on my Ace 250 since I didn't like the MPX I ordered.

Thanks again,

Don

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
If you know where the old tank is.....M60 I believe....there is a road you can take that turns into hard surface and will take you into the back entrance of the base...I think. Anyway.....the old garrison area is on the right hand side of that hard surface road......but its on Federal land not the gamelands. If you are in the service....going by your avatar...you might be able to get "us" ;D on the site. J/K.....well not really ;D

I should be getting my 4x4 this coming week and plan on getting down there at least 2 weekends a month. I've been researching Civil War movements in the area and have a few narrowed down.

OP
OP
dredre7

dredre7

Greenie
Oct 31, 2005
Sanford, NC
Actually there are a couple of m60's there but I think I know which one you are talking about. I thought the drop zone was part of it but maybe not. I wonder if the MP's even care about md'ing on the property. I guess there are federal game agents looking for poachers that roam around too but I never see them around Mackall, fortunately I haven't hung around there on the weekends for work. But I have seen them around some property that is near Bragg that use to belong to the Rockafeller's, hmmmm? That gets me thinking.

Need anyone else out with you to help your search? ;)

Thanks again.

Don

Zeke

Oct 26, 2004
Jackson Creek,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
The M60 Im talking about is at the edge of the drop zone area. If you pull up that area on Google Earth I think you can spot the tank. The area around Fayetteville/Ft Bragg is clear but over towards the gameland section (Hoffman) isnt good resolution. Seems like the triangle landing strip of the old Camp Mackall is on the edge where the resolution gets bad.

Im always looking for new people and areas to detect. I'll shoot you a pm next time Im headed over that way.

OP
OP
dredre7

dredre7

Greenie
Oct 31, 2005
Sanford, NC
Yea, I know that one well, funny, I never knew that one was there until last week, I also had no idea that road turned to hard ball. I know of sever Revolutionary War markers of some type and some older cemeteries on post but I am assuming most people stay away from those as far md'ing goes.

Been metal detecting off and on for a little while but never done any research, will check out Google.

Thanks again,

Don

Klancaster

Greenie
Sep 1, 2003
I live in Mount Airy NC and there are plenty of old homesteads around here. I am doing some research trying to find where the old camp meeting and church picnics were held. I live on once was an old slave plantation and have found some interesting stuff. I always make an effort to find the owner of the property and ask permission, but that's just me.
Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread