Where to obtain prospexting maps?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here in Summit County CO I found that the Nat Forest Svc does not sell the local map via the online site. You might be able to get the local FS office to mail it to you but of course I just went in person when I wanted one. Interesting that they are so inconsistent.

Mine it and recycle it!

OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
KevinInColorado said:
Here in Summit County CO I found that the Nat Forest Svc does not sell the local map via the online site. You might be able to get the local FS office to mail it to you but of course I just went in person when I wanted one. Interesting that they are so inconsistent.

Mine it and recycle it!

Thanks again for the help Kevin.

Davidail

Nov 3, 2012
North FL and North GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Metal Detector with 5" coil making it the AT gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The USGS Store - One stop shop for all your maps, world, United States, state, wall decor, historic, planetary, topographic, trail, hiking, foreign, satellite, digital

They are free and you download them to your PC. you can also download older maps which tend to show the old mine locations. Just zoom in on the Map Locator Downloader to the area you want the map from. Click on Mark point and a small window will open showing you what maps are available. I recommend downloading the TerraGo program which allows you to click anywhere on a downloaded map and it will take you to Goggle earth to the point you clicked on the map. Very helpful when using the older maps.

Also you can always go here as well and download the mines locations for your area. Search the Mineral Resources Data System

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It would be my opinion that the first map to buy would be the BLM 1:100,000 series for your area. They are about $7.00 each at the BLM site. They show the BLM areas in yellow so you can pick the BLM area from private lands. Next, a USGS 7 1/2 minute series of the same area. Maps are my PASSION! You may decide on a different route to success. TTC

ncclaymaker

Aug 26, 2011
Champlain, NY on the Canadian border.
Detector(s) used
Minelab 1000, A Motorized Power Glider Trike, 17 foot travel trailer behind my Jeep. 4" suction dredge/high banker.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why spend money, it's free... you paid for it!

Finding prospects w/o spending a cent

You will need to download and/or install Google Earth onto you computer, then follow the instructions below.

The MRDS site is not too user intuitive, so here are some instruction for use. Keep in mind that the database is created by the US government, better than nothing, but you get what you pay for. Well, almost.

1. Go to this link. http://tin.er.usgs.gov/mrds/find-mrds.php
2. Leave site name blank.
3. Select a state, leave country at the default value of anywhere.
4. With commodity - select Gold from the pulldown list.
5. Leave Operation type and ID as is.
6. Click on the Search button.... wait for the database on the server to create a file with the relative data.

A new page will appear with Choose Format:. Change the Shapefile type to Google Earth.
1. Click on the Get Data button.
==== Wait ==== Like when did the government ever do something in an instant. If this was private enterprise, you wouldn't have had time to blink... except dialup users.
Usually I would select the filename.KML. Runs faster than the compressed file(kmz).
2. Click on mrds-selected state-Gold.kml
3. File download window appears.
4. Select the Save Button.
5. Select a folder where you know the file can be found later
6. Open Google Earth and from the File menu, select Open. Go to the folder and click on the KML file that you saved.

You will now have the whereabouts of almost every known gold mining activity in the state that you searched. It isn't free, we've all paid for the right of its' use. Happy hunting.

Best regards

Last edited:
OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Thanks for all of your help everyone. This has been a huge help. Happy New Year (and hunting) to all.

Davidail

Nov 3, 2012
North FL and North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One word of caution. I started out using the MRDS, and on some not all the mines mostly the ones on public lands they have actually went in and changed the data, You can click on a mine symbol in Google earth and a small window will open , in that window you can click on the ID number or full report and several mines in GA when you click on the Full Report it states accuracy 600 meters and in some cases 1000 meters it gives GPS coordinates as a center to go from. But it will put you into the general areas. I just downloaded the state of Ga's Records and it appears they have been change again since last year amazing what our government will do.
It would be my opinion that the first map to buy would be the BLM 1:100,000 series for your area. They are about $7.00 each at the BLM site. They show the BLM areas in yellow so you can pick the BLM area from private lands. Next, a USGS 7 1/2 minute series of the same area. Maps are my PASSION! You may decide on a different route to success. TTC

OP
OP
frost10509

frost10509

Dec 22, 2012
Davidail said:
One word of caution. I started out using the MRDS, and on some not all the mines mostly the ones on public lands they have actually went in and changed the data, You can click on a mine symbol in Google earth and a small window will open , in that window you can click on the ID number or full report and several mines in GA when you click on the Full Report it states accuracy 600 meters and in some cases 1000 meters it gives GPS coordinates as a center to go from. But it will put you into the general areas. I just downloaded the state of Ga's Records and it appears they have been change again since last year amazing what our government will do.

Do you do most of your prospecting at old mines? I take it metal detector is the most efficient tool for those venues? Do any panning at rivers? Thanks!

Davidail

Nov 3, 2012
North FL and North GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried my metal detector last year and found some old nails spikes and old pick but no gold even found a few bullets including a .22 at almost 8" deep So after wasting all that time I quite using the Detector. Most of the mines I prospect are old placer mines from old claims all of them were mined in the early 1820's -1840's most shut down when gold was found in CA in 1849 and the rest when the civil war started some work was down off and on through the 1890's and again in the 1920's. Most all of them are located on National Forest. I have found a few old sub surface mines while working small creeks in some of the old placer regions. I usually take a pan and backpack along with a small tent when doing my sampling for areas to work. My son and I scouted miles and miles of creeks and branches sampling test pans ever 100 ft. or so we was there for a week back in September. We hiked to the where the creek was just a spring coming out of rocks and worked our way all the way back down the mountain to where it dumped into the river I use the Delorme Earthmate 60W Handheld GPS As we take samples I mark the coordinates so I can download them when i get home the Earthmate is the best GPS in my opinion in that I can custom make maps and download them to it. i usually convert the older maps I download form the USGS to it since they have better features not removed from Uncle Sam.
I am a GPAA member, but I don't use their claim in GA. I've done tons of research, For the State of Ga the best research tool is the 1896 Gold Deposit Book which it can be downloaded for free on google books. Due to this book and the detail directions on mines and old placer works for the state of Ga the Government has went in over the last 5 yrs and started removing features from maps as well as changing the data on the MRDS . All the new maps and GPS units don't have the correct features on them and the locations will soon be lost forever as time goes on for the average guy.
k
Do you do most of your prospecting at old mines? I take it metal detector is the most efficient tool for those venues? Do any panning at rivers? Thanks!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread