where to sell gold

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Best price you will get for your gold is to make something with it and sell it at swap meets, garage sales, flea markets and the like. A little solder, a bail, and a chain turns a 20 dollar nugget into a hundred dollar necklace. Put a pinch in some bags with clean sand and a little gravel and have a panning booth at the fair. Get maybe a buck or two for 25 to 50 cents worth. And do it all day long, adds up to good money.

Takes a little more work, but its sure easier than mining, and it beats the heck out of getting offered 70 to 80 percent at the coin shops and gold dealers. ;)

Will_detect4food

May 2, 2006
Gold Coast
Jeffro said:
Put a pinch in some bags with clean sand and a little gravel and have a panning booth at the fair. Get maybe a buck or two for 25 to 50 cents worth. And do it all day long, adds up to good money.

Takes a little more work, but its sure easier than mining, and it beats the heck out of getting offered 70 to 80 percent at the coin shops and gold dealers. ;)

would be a good flea market idea too

AZNuggethunter

Greenie
Mar 8, 2004
Prescott Arizona
Detector(s) used
Lots of Minelab's
Although I did not go to the site listed above to see how they do business you need to know that there are a lot of other ways to make cha-ching on you gold.

This is no way a remark about Midwest Refiners as I have never used them and know nothing about them. I have used another refiner for so long now that I do not even shop them. I shopped a long time before I found the one that I now use and have been quite happy. I like getting paid for my gold without having to fight. In those rare times that I sell gold to a refiner.

I have found that some refiners that offer really high % returns have a few things that they do not readily disclose. . I would rather see a refiner be honest and say that they pay 73% to 80% of spot. In most cases that is the honest answer

Refiners only pay on purity of gold. If they paid across the board on weight they would be upside down in a matter of days.
Example of how this generally works. When it works good!
You have ten ounces of gold that you sent to the refiner after the assay (that you pay for) the gold is 90% pure then you are going to get paid 94% on the remaining weight based on purity. So the 10oz just became 9oz or 90%pure and you are going to get paid 94% of 9oz. plus you pay any fees such as chemical fees environmental disposal fees holding fees fees for the fees that supersede all other fees and so on. If they did not do it this way like I said they would be on their backs in just a few buys.
If I paid you 94% of spot without taking out for purity I just lost a chunk of money.
Yes in most cases it is quick cash but if you can sit on your gold and sell it other ways you can make bank.

Gold Bay, eBay swap meets and events like gun shows so on are great places to sell gold when people are buying. The worst thing to do is to try to sell large lots of gold in a time that gold is on the rise. If your gold is all fines break it into small 2dwt vials and sell it that way.
Put 24grains or 1dwt in a 2dwt vial and sell it at or close to spot ($650.00 spot= $1.35 per grain =$32.50 per vial which means $35.00-$40.00per vial gotta pay for the bottle and your time) at $35.00 that is $700.00 an oz at $40.00 it is $800.00 an oz and no refiner fees.
It is easier to get 100 people to spend $40.00 than it is to get one person to spend $4000.00 in the higher market. I have gold that I bought in at $200.00-$250.00 per ounce and alot that I have found aound the same price range and for me it is not an option to buy in at today’s prices. It makes sense to sell.
Well ok the truth is I will just contine to sit on it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions