Where to start looking? (Southwestern Ontario, Canada)

Jun 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone,

I am interested in finding some treasure -- preferably gold or something valuable (don't we all), but also just historical things like arrowheads or antiques would be neat. The problem is I don't live in England on top of ancient Roman roads or at the site of any famous battles... I live in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada. There are no mines or famous mineral deposits (aside from lots of oil in the area). Probably the only thing going for it, is it used to be a major shipping port (still is to some extent.) History at most dating back to the 1600s (besides Native Americans), with not much before 1800s. All around me are new houses built on what were just fields until a couple decades ago or less, so I don't think there is any chance for stuff to have accumulated in the area, and I assume I would not be lucky enough to just strike a random mineral deposit in my backyard.

So... how do I start finding treasure? I think I'm too self-concious to walk along the beach with a metal detector and expect they've mostly been picked clean anyway. I think most stuff would have accumulated at the waterfront, but that is also probably the most heavily-trafficked areas due to parks and walkways all along.

What kind of more private locations where I'm not likely to run into anyone should I look for? (I imagine not a lot of good stuff gets dropped on wilderness trails etc except the odd piece of jewelery.) How do I know where to find local "hotspots" where I'm likely to find something? Are there any places I can find old maps from the 1800s-1900s of my area online?

I can also extend my search out to the rest of Lambton County: Petrolia / Oil Springs -- they were big in the oil heyday in the 1800s. I don't know if there are any precious metals known for being found around oil, or what kind of historical places I should look for. I'd prefer to start by driving less than an hour from where I live -- for example I couldn't drive 6 hours to Northern Ontario to prospect.)

Thanks for any help or suggestions you can offer. I don't expect anyone local to give up their secrets, but maybe someone can give me some general tips of where to start even without a knowledge of the area based on my facts above. There are a lot of shipwrecks locally I've heard about but I don't know how to dive and not interested in exploring that optionm.

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Find out where people picnicked in the 1800s. Preferably somewhere that ceased being used as a picnic site by the 1920s, and is nothing but a cow-pasture or row crops now (no buildings or homes or whatever on the site). Those type yester-year picnic spots are amongst my favorite. And if nothing occured there after the 1920s (or '40s or whatever), then it means less trash, clad, etc... (as the "tin-foil" and "pulltab" era didn't start till the 1960s).

Landlord Jim

Jul 20, 2012
Oakland County, Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i,Vx3,DFX,MXT Pro,Prizm 5G, CM Pro,Beach Hunter 300 and Bounty Hunter 202.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I go to Point Edwards park all the time. Cross over into Port Huron and go to the Fort locations. Get over being afraid to walk around with a metal detector. You get used to it. Just act natural- like its an extension of your arm, LOL. Look at old maps and go to old churches and ask where the church picnic was in 1890- 1910. Look for OLD football and baseball fields. There is so much history around here!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread