Where to start?

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I have state woodland with rich history that is now able to be detected. With the exception of certain areas not prohibited. We are talking 1,000 plus acres of woodland. Supposidly you are allowed to detect and use a screwdriver ( and tbe small folded shovel in my back back,,, sshhh ) . Anyhow I know there are ruins of a few homesteads mixed about... But zero clue where .
I saw a hobbiest bragging that he picked the ruins clean ( from another metal detecting site). I'd like to be tbe judge of that. But how can I even begin to locate them? The oldest arial views I have date back to the 50's.
Any tips or hints??? Thanks in advance!!

Upvote 0

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Go to Www.historicmapworks.com and browse for your area (using the search bar is kinda hit or miss because you don't know what it would be labeled) if you find a map for your area click the button on the bottom I think it's labeled historic earth basic and it will even overlap a lot of the maps over a current google map to help you locate. I know it my area I have used a few maps they had from 1875.

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
Go to Www.historicmapworks.com and browse for your area (using the search bar is kinda hit or miss because you don't know what it would be labeled) if you find a map for your area click the button on the bottom I think it's labeled historic earth basic and it will even overlap a lot of the maps over a current google map to help you locate. I know it my area I have used a few maps they had from 1875.
Ty so much I'm gonna give it a shot!!

Indianametal

Feb 19, 2013
west central indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett ace250
Not sure where you are located, but in woodlands i look for very large maple trees and also any 100+ yr old tree that has limbs going everywhere showing that it grew by itself in a pasture or yard. Once i locate that I start looking for rocks. Here boulders were brough up from the streams and used as supports for the cabins. They also used them alomg fences

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always start at the beginning! :)

Here is a link to a site that allows you to compare old aerial pics to modern pics. It doesn't cover the entire country, but may help.

Good Luck!

NETR Online • Historic Aerials

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I kind of jumped the boat... Lol, but I'm not sure if I'm technically in the clear or not. And like everyone knows ... If you ask, your going to get a no eventually.
There is a historic preserved village and iron furnace dating back to the 1600's. Which is included in the 1,000 acre state forest . Of course your not allowed to detect there.. However across the road is trails n areas of open field surrounded by forest. Completely hidden from sight . I believe without a doubt this was farmland that went with the village and most likely had village houses scattered about. It is not within the marked historic area and it's part of the state forest land.
So I detected it for about and hour and I found some very promising little leads. Hand forged nails, rings from horse drawn farm equipment , a hunk of 2 inch thick iron from I don't know what . To be honest I respect the history greatly and if I found anything of significance I would take it directly to the park officials .
Technically I'm pretty sure I'm allowed to be detecting where I am, however if a park ranger sees me, I'm sure I'll get told something else. I totally need one of those little ankle detectors and just walk my dog with a screwdriver in my pocket.. Lol

OP
OP
MissIron.Maiden

MissIron.Maiden

Dec 30, 2013
I went back today and realized just how close I am to the actual historic site . So I imagine their is probably a perimeter around the actual area that is included in that. I was so jumpy and sweating so bad from anxiety that I might be doing something unethical that it just ruined the whole time. Apparently I'm not much of a rebel or criminal . It no k I'm going to take some Pepto now... Lol

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check with your local library or historical society to see if plat maps are available. These usually date to the late 1800's and sometimes show farm and school locations as well as the name of land owners.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread