Where would a 1700s house be located in relation to graves on the property?

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010
Where would a 1700's house be located in relation to graves on the property?

I found a site that I have been researching, the property dates to the 1720's and was originally 30 acres. I located the property and actually found 2 headstones, one being the original owner's! Generally speaking, where graves placed near the home? These were Dutch settlers btw. Whats the best way to find the original home location? Any help would be great!

Best regards

Upvote 0

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro
Re: Where would a 1700's house be located in relation to graves on the property?

ive heard roughly 200 yard radious of home

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Where would a 1700's house be located in relation to graves on the property?

Easy, walk around and find the patch of iron! If there was a house it's like a big target you shouldn't miss.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Iron Patch said:
Easy, walk around and find the patch of iron! If there was a house it's like a big target you shouldn't miss.
Yes.
I seem to always locate mine on higher, sloping ground nearby the stones. Once you start locating those iron signals slow down.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

Iron Patch and 4-H are right on the "money"! Some folks tend to discriminate iron out (and there are times when this is helpful), however
when attempting to locate an old lost building site, iron is your "best" friend! :thumbsup:

Regards, SkyPilot

OP
OP
C

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010

Thanks for the great tips guys, I will be looking for the iron! I will probably try finding the site of the house on Sunday, hopefully I can make some progress.

Sky Pilot

Bronze Member
Dec 2, 2007
Tellico Plains, Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Several Fisher, Tesoro, White's and Garrett's

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Keep us updated, please!!

Great hunting and good luck!!! SkyPilot

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch said:

Absolutely! ESPECIALLY since you're only dealing with 30 acres. That's an EASY hunt for one person to find a home site!

Listen for the iron blips, and if you get a good period find, keep hunting in that same area for a while to see if there's more. Simple as that.

Cemeteries are unreliable. I've seen houses within a stone's throw of a cemetery. I've also seen houses far away. Usually the completely enclosed Disease Cemeteries are farther than the ones with a gate or opening, but that's about all I've ever noticed.

30 acres is nothing. You should be able to find that site easily.

OP
OP
C

capri_auto

Apr 6, 2010

Thanks guys, I will deff keep you posted!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread