Where ya at Joe, n Bert!

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
Whe're ya at Joe, n Bert!

I enjoyed and learned from ya'lls jaw on the 'Tejon coils" and would like to carry it even further if we can. Like Bert, I am wanting to get all I can out of my T, and already am using the 9x8 stock coil and the 5.75 Con. That 9x8 is awsome and has made some good finds every where I have used it in and out of the iron cluttered places.The 5.75 is good too but the 9x8 seems to be finding more for me. Maybe just luck!Been working(when it's cool) a site first settled in 1806-08 and lived on ever since. Possible first housesite has little modern trash but plenty of iron trash build up in spots.I am of a mind to be a bit confused as to whether or not these irontrash/scale/nails/etc.buidup areas are not to be considered to be "mineralized"(iron oxide) due to the rust and iron buildup over so many years. No one ever addresses that , or am I missing it? That being the case, it would seem, wouldn't that give reason to consider the Widescan coil may have some advantage in the "mineralized"(ironized) dirt.If that is true , then we would have to wonder just which of the Widescans would have the biggest advantage,possibly between the 5.75 W and the 10x5 Eliptical W. for the T, V, or C ? This is where only someone with first(or second) hand experiecnce with a coil on the ground is needed to inlighten us some. I see a big difference in mild soil composition and soil at a few feet distant that must certainly be of a different(though man made) composition due to all of the iron oxide/rust build up of many years. Walk into that with a Concentric coil all GB and ready to hunt and you must wonder if maybe it is time for a widescan. I sure do!Just my thoughts. Thanks ,Cass

BERT

Jun 23, 2008
Detector(s) used
Etrac--G2--GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Whe're ya at Joe, n Bert!

Heah I is Cass, ain't been here fer awhile! ;D--I think both the 5.75 coils (conc. & widescan) have their strengths AND weaknesses.---The widescan does handle mean ground a little better, but is murderous on steel bottle caps.--The con. handles the steel b.c.'s better but don't get quite as good seperation (in some cases).----That's my FAR from expert opinion, at least. :wink:-----Got an original Bandito to sell me??? (serious) :icon_thumleft: --------BERT

OP
OP
C

Cass

Feb 16, 2005

Hey Bert, glad you made it back. Thanks. I sure can't find much from folks on using the 10X5 DD on the T but everyone sure loves the 5.75 Con. I do too, but want to hammer this site I have with all I can. I have already found a couple of really good coins, an 1803 1/2 Real and an 1839 1/2 dime, and some other pretty cool artifacts. and the place has the potential for many more really good finds. As much as I like and used the 5.75 on my site, best I recall I have found all the goodies so far with the 9x8 stock coil.It goes awful deep, even in dry hard packed soil. The coins were not over 6" though. Can't think of any logicial explanation for this , other than maybe I need to get a little more depth from the 10x5 over the 5.75 in the irony(mineralized) places. Hard to say. But then, today I read somewhere where someone said the 10X5 wouldn't go as deep as the 5.75 Con., but was really great at seperation.That sure makes me wonder "why not," with over 4 extra inches of coil in one direction, over the 5.75 but I am stump dumb at tech stuff. I know it all differs from place what any detector setup will do for any individual, and we never really know what to expect from any setup until we put the coil to "our"dirt and start digging the results. It is good to jaw over though and gain whatever we can from other digging folks experiences. This is the first site in ages that I have been on that has little to no modern trash. It is all still pretty much "primitive" with only what went down from 1806 up until the 1870's. Any suggestions or thoughts will be appreciated. Thanks again, Cass

OP
OP
C

Cass

Feb 16, 2005

I got in a hurry and forgot your mention of the original Bandito. I can tell from your discussion in that post that you are like so many of us older hands and are into the business of figuring out ways to cut through the crap and beat the masking without wasting/trusting in some high $^^^^ hopeso. The older original Bandido, as well as several of the other older Tesoros gained some well earned Reps for cutting through that crap and are why they are hard to find now. I have more than a couple of the older ones hanging in my closet now but sorry to say , no Bandidos. I will let you know though if I run up on one. They are out there, so don't give up! Cass

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread