Wheres the Silvers? 3 Indians, 28 Wheats, Plenty of Clad and Relics

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Where's the Silvers? 3 Indians, 28 Wheats, Plenty of Clad and Relics

I took Friday off to get a hunt in. The in-laws are up and we are celebrating Thanksgiving today (I was told, no hunting this weekend). :BangHead: The kids will be here soon so I thought I'd get my post up. I went to a new permission I secured last Saturday. It's on the 1874 map.

Capture 1874.JPG

I have only hunted about 1/8th of the property in 4 hours going low and slow. The area I hunted is highlighted yellow on the pic below.

Capture 2015.JPG

When I asked Shawn for the permission, he asked what I hoped to find. I stated that I was looking for pre 1965 silver coins, would more than likely pull an IHP and hopefully an old pocket watch. In the 1st hour of the hunt I dug up my 1st pocket watch frame, and thought to myself, I bet I'll get a harmonica reed on this property. BAM, the very next plug had (you guessed it) a harmonica reed. I pulled 3 IHPs, (1887, 94, & 98), 28 wheats (1916-58D) and an old local trade token "F.E. RICHMOND - CIGARS & POOL- WELLINGTON. There has got to be some silvers in the ground somewhere. You know the old saying "Where there's wheat there's silver", I am hoping it is true for this site. I need 3 more silvers to hit my season goal of 50.

Notables

20151120_190710.jpg

All Coins

20151120_184744.jpg

Relics

20151120_185820.jpg

As always, I hope ya'll got out and swung the coil :metaldetector: today.

I also hope you have a very happy, family filled, and meaningful THANKSGIVING.

Upvote 24

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco,if that haul represents only 1/8th of that property you will need a 6 gallon bucket to carry out all your finds there.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I betcha there's at least three silvers in there just waiting for your coil. Great assortment of finds so far. Does your oil lamp knob have a patent date?

IndianaHunter27

Oct 28, 2015
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good hunt there, nice variety of coins and relics! I'm sure the silver is waiting for you there:thumbsup:

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Where there's wheat there's silver", I am hoping it is true for this site. I need 3 more silvers to hit my season goal of 50..

What depth are you finding the items at & what coil you usin?
Mebbe therein lies yoru answer.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With all that you found, looks like you're the first guy there. I'm willing to bet there is silver there. I'd be exited about that spot for sure!!

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Loco-Digger. Nice haul! That is a great token and congrats on all the relic, IH, and WC finds. Gotta be some silver there...Thanks for the post and good luck. C9

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pack a lunch, youse gonna' be there for a spell. and set some trip wires, don't want no stinkin' claim jumpers:-)

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What depth are you finding the items at & what coil you usin?
Mebbe therein lies yoru answer.

I always hunt my 1st grid direction with the stock 11" DD on private permissions, unless of course it's a field permission. The IHPs were about 7" to 8" deep. Most of the wheats were at 5" to 6" deep. My plan is to pull most targets on the 1st pass. I will then run the vertical direction using my 12" x 15" butterfly coil. To get into the hard to reach places I will finish up with the 5" DD, mainly around the shrubs that are next to the foundation. When I am done with a site, I believe I have pulled at least 98% - 99% of the finds (especially coins) that are in the 0" to 10" depth. My coil has yet to swing over a silver in the yard.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
You go, Lo Co! Keep at it and clear that surface crap off. There's more!

Steve

texjim

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2009
schuylkill county pa.
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites xlt,vx3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try to grid my spots like you do. Good luck on the silver and other oldies.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is a guess.
Considering the size of the relics. Yard maintenance was not a priority early on. The old silver will probably be around where ever the carriage house was.
Congratulations on your finds and it looks like you'll be busy for a bit with that yard. Make sure you leave it boring for the next guy.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent research, excellent spot, excellent saves. I'm sure you're right about there being silver. But, I find it a bit funny how we all "just KNOW there's silver there". Trouble is, when we KNOW it's there, (whether it is or not), and it keeps not turning up, we get increasingly impatient! Kinda takes away from the fun. Ya know? :)

I'll be looking forward to the return trips!

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent research, excellent spot, excellent saves. I'm sure you're right about there being silver. But, I find it a bit funny how we all "just KNOW there's silver there". Trouble is, when we KNOW it's there, (whether it is or not), and it keeps not turning up, we get increasingly impatient! Kinda takes away from the fun. Ya know? :)

I'll be looking forward to the return trips!

I know where you are coming from. I'm just grateful for the few keepers I pulled. I need to practice "The Secret" a little more.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco-Digger,

I didn't say anything but your site info was a bit to specific....I do admin on another forum and I post up reminders on a regular basis not to give up to much info on your sites so the lurkers don't move in on you.

Regards + HH

Bill

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco-Digger,

I didn't say anything but your site info was a bit to specific....I do admin on another forum and I post up reminders on a regular basis not to give up to much info on your sites so the lurkers don't move in on you.

Regards + HH

Bill

Yeah we have some here too Bill that don't have enough brain cells to determine for themselves where they should go...they have to read others' posts from the area and beat 'em to the spots.

Looks like you have a nice spot LD. Waiting on your next trip!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread