Wheres there is four hundred dollars of silver coin....there is more

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Hmmm....I think if you had 400.00 in silver coin....you would have probally hidden more........History of Franklin and Pickaway Counties, Ohio. William Bros., 1880.

Pickaway Township

Early Settlement, p. 266

The initial settlement of Pickaway county was made in this township, in the year 1796 or 1797. The first cabins were erected on Zane's "trace," which led through the plains from the crossing of the Hockhocking (now Lancaster) to Chillicothe. It cannot with absolute certainty be stated who was the first actual settler but from the best information now obtainable, we are inclined to the belief that Caleb Evans enjoys that distinction. He was a native of Pennsylvania, whence he removed to Kentucky, and resided there until the year stated, when he came to Ohio. He settled on Scippo creek, in section five, where his grandson, Samuel H. Evans, now resides. He was possessed of considerable means, for a pioneer, on coming to this country, and lost, a short time afterwards, by a fire which destroyed his house, four hundred dollars in silver coin.

P

pickaway

Yep Pickaway county was a whiskey making county also,there should be untold treasures around but i hear of noone finding any.Then again iv'e never seen another detectorist around I'm sure there are.I've put the MD up didnt even break it out this summer due to artifact hunting of prehistoric man.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
MAYBE this will help locate the property Township 10 Range 25 Section5
http://www.birdsofafeather1.com/maps/1871pickawaytownship.html

Caleb Evans' will which was written January 13, 1836 and probated August 27, 1836 in Pickaway Co., Ohio. Here are the relevant sections with additional property :

---Fourthly, I give and devise unto my son William and his heirs, two sons, Aaron and Eleazor, the east third of the half section 25, T. 3, R. 15, in Licking County Ohio containing about 115 acres with the improvements, be the same, more or less and the said William's three daughters Elizabeth, Ruth and Rebecca, one hundred and fifty dollars to be divided equally between each, to be paid by my executors when they usually become of age.

---Tenthly, I give and devise unto my three granddaughters, children of my son William Viz. Elizabeth one half of the south east quarter of section no. 16 in T no. 3. R. 15 in Licking County Ohio, containing 80 acres, be the same more or less, with the improvements and the other half of said lot to be divided equally between the other two viz. Ruth and Rebecca.

As would be expected, there were children named Aaron and Ruth. This land turns out to be in Monroe Township, Licking Co., Ohio. It appears that when the courthouse burned in 1875, though the marriage records were destroyed, the deed records were saved. They have been microfilmed by the LDS Church and are at the Family History Library in Salt Lake City. We hope to be able to research these records and see when the land was sold or deeded and, just as with Sally W. Wells Evans in the Nicholas Co., Kentucky 1845 deed, find out where the children went and who the girls married.

P

pickaway

The Shawnee had 5 villages named Chillicothe.
1.Great Miami,on the present site of Piqua
2.Chillicothe often called old chillicothe located about 3 miles north of Xenia
3.west bank of Scioto present location of the village of Westfall
4.Hopetown,often designated as "old town" 3 miles north of present day Chillicothe
5.Frankfort ross county

Wardster

Dec 21, 2006
Kingston, Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Living near Scippo Creek in Pickaway County I am very interested in this. My wife's family were some of the early settlers in the county (Saltcreek Twp). They arrived by covered wagon in 1807 from Pennsylvania and traveled on Zane's Trace. They originally settled in present day Whisler and acquired property. We found the original cabin that Abraham Heffner (great x4 or 5 grampa to my wife) built in 1809 a couple years ago and erected it on whats left of the farm (187 acres). There are lots of stories that have been passed down through the generations and I would not doubt it if Abraham knew Mr. Evans.

-Wardster

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread