Which arm do you swing?

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I swing an Explorer XS which gets pretty heavy on long hunts. I have had to learn to swing both ways (oops that DID NOT come out right!). I mean I've had to learn to do both left and right with my main machine. With my Fishers, I generally swing right-handed.

HH,
SgtSki

LadyDigger

Bronze Member
Jun 7, 2006
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I am right handed and have tried to swing with my left....but I don't find it very comfortable :-\...so I swing with my right. There have been times when at the beach ALL DAY (with the kids)...that my right arm gets tired (esp at the elbow...hurting...owww :))....that I will switch to my left just to give the right some time to rest...but I don't like the left.

When using my right arm, when I find a target...I lay it down and then dig with my right arm....maybe I need to work more using my left....what if I broke my right arm? I wouldn't be able to detect :(.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right arm
shovel in the left(works as a walking/poking stick
retrieve with the left hand, ring on the right

trixster

Nov 4, 2007
Mount Savage Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I use my right arm to swing and then I set my detector down when I dig but I am a little different then most people since I have had 3 right shoulder surgeries in the past 3 years and unfortunately I have more surgery coming eventually and I am not looking forward to being out of commision with my detector once again for at least 5 to 6 weeks and will probably be out even longer when the do the sugery on my spine >:( . Have fun and good luck out there !

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
my t-2 right hand only, with my whites had to give it a little break at times with the left, and dig with the right, funny thing when it comes to welding either works just as well

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
Shortly after getting an Explorer I was carrying my 2 y/o son and he arched back trying to get away from me and pulled a muscle in my forearm. I developed a SEVERE case of tendonitis in my right arm and elbow so I had to learn to use my left arm to swing the Beast. I have now gotten very comfortable using my left or right arm when swinging my detector and actually find that by swapping out every 15-20 mins my arms don't get tired or hurt anymore.

teverly

Mar 4, 2007
central ohio
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC x 2 xp deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Right handed..and i have tried to swing left but just cant do it.......someday my right arm will look like Kirkpa and my left will look like olive oyl !!!!!!

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I'm right handed and swing with my right hand, dig with my left. But I would rather swing with my left and dig with my right. That's because I have two plates and 8 screws in my left wrest.

OP
OP
D

Diggerbarns

Oct 30, 2007
Man I must be an oddball :D.Am I the only right handed person that prefers to swing with the left?

ScrewcapRoy

Jun 14, 2007
Weymouth Mass
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
When I was a newbie I asked this same question. I am right handed but swing with my left and use a scoop or digger with my right hand. I have on occassion when I got tired swung with my right but only for a short time. Not comfortable unless the machine is on the left arm.
HH Roy

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax
I generally used both arms at the same time as i figure two detectors double the chances

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am ambidextrous and swing the coil well with either hand. I also shoot firearms well right or left handed and sometimes both when I "Rock & Roll."

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggerbarns said:
Man I must be an oddball :D.Am I the only right handed person that prefers to swing with the left?

No, that's the right way! ;D

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
a few years ago i swung with my right but getting older and my wrist hurts sometimes and since i'm right handed my right hurts more often, one day it was so bad the wife and i was out detecting and i wasnt going to give up so i switched hands and have been swinging with the left ever since and dig with the right ;)

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
I use both. I spend about 20 minutes then switch detector and digger to the other hands. To me, it keeps from getting sore on either arm.

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
Mostly I use my right, but I do switch to the left when and if my arm gets tired.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread