Which best describes you.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great article on detecting. http://www.prostockdetectors.com/recovery.html

I even hate it when someone mentions a shovel as the only means to get the coin out of the grass. There should be a bounty on these guys ruining the parks so we all get kicked out. It is bad enought that we have the Archies out for our hide that we have teach the newbies and some of the oldies how to retreive a coin.

HalfSpeed

Feb 10, 2008
Enid, Mississippi
Detector(s) used
White's Eagle II, Ace 250's (2), Cobra Beach Magnet
Thanks for the post Sandman. Should be required reading before that first trip out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

ParkHunter61

Nov 30, 2008
You have to take into consideration the kind of grass and soil.
Here on the west coast of Florida we have floratam grass which is nothing like
northern rye grasses...
Sometimes the grass is thin and the sandy soil is dry and if you make a plug to small
it will crumble apart in your hands and you cant fix it - it WILL be a dead spot.
When this is the case I try to make bigger plugs and handle them gently..
The flap does not work as well here either and if you make a good size plug it
does not dye at all....
Bill

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
I'm not a treasure cop but I live by a set of rules that I was raised by. Don't make and DON"T leave a mess. Clean up behind myself. Set an example for others. Leave a place cleaner then I found it. Basically the same rules in the article that you showed. The rules that I was taught as a kid are basically common sense rules. If I'm sharing this hobby with a slob then the rest of us suffer the same for their unruliness.

Your right, there ought to be rules of etiquette handed out with every detector sold and a must read sign stapled to some people forhead to read before they use this hobby to scare off the world.

B

BIG61AL

It is the dealers and manufactures that should require an instruction DVD be watched before purchase on how to retrieve targets. If more and more places ban detecting guess who will be selling less and less detectors. I always try to leave the least amount of damage as I can. I am pleased I can recover 30 targets and twice as much trash and not see a single hole where I was digging. I even pick up the pull tabs on top of the dirt/ground that you can see so I won't have to dig a hole to find it another day. I have seen too many hole with the plug busted up in pieces and a pull tab right next to the hole. It just makes me sick.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread