Which Bounty Hunter to get from this list?

jake1

May 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi. Metal detectors have always intrigued me so I might get one. I actually could have really used one a few months ago when I dropped my keys in the snow.

So my healthcare has metal detectors I can get with points. I have enough points to get any of these on the list. FYI, the QD is actually the QDII when I click the link. I assume these don't come with headphones or any other accessories. The info provided isn't very clear.

Which, if any, would you get if you were in my situation? Are these as good as any other brands out there or should I not bother with the limited choices?

... I am new to metal detecting, I would use it only occasionally I think, I would maybe use it around the local parks and on my own property, I'm not looking for anything specific but would be interested in finding coins, jewelry, and relics.

1.jpg

Last edited:

tiedtc

May 20, 2013
I just got the quicksilver and like it so far. I am completely new to the hobby as well and found a penny about 4" deep in my backyard after 5 minutes out for the fist time ever. It is easy to use and very intuitive. At least that is my $0.01 of it.

gordonquixote

Apr 8, 2012
N FL
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Being serious here....use the healthcare points to get Turvis Tumblers and Pool Floats and use your cash to get a better detector if you plan to stick with the hobby.

Sure those BHs will find coins....but in my humble opinion, they will having you want to upgrade in no time.

And I used a Bounty Hunter for a long time years ago....trust me. lol

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Save your money and get a Garrett Ace 250 or the 150,both of those are better than any Bounty Hunter,& if you decide you don't like to go detecting you can always get a fair price on it when you sell it.

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, If I was you, I'd go for any model in your budget that has no screen. Screens are bad teachers and make you a lazy digger. Lazy diggers do leave treasure in the ground.

There's nothing wrong with a BH, be it a Tracker IV or a Fast Tracker. I'd go with this last one and complete it with the 10" accessory coil.

Other brand with good old beep'n diggers is Tesoro. The Compadre with the 8" is a coin killer. Trust me, I have one since 2009 (yeah, we are the Lucky Europeans :laughing7:) It has a good frequency for jewelry too. You might also like the one 9v battery (instead of 2 for the BH units). Your cost per hour will be low.

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with Bounty Hunters. The tone audio on the trackers is fully adjustable, and you will find goodies with them.

I suggest you to read the users manuals of the detectors you'd like to compare before buying them.

Later, when your ears get trained to the beeps, and only then, you might like the hobby and want to buy a detector with a display. You will then be ready for it.

HH

Grumpy

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
of the choices on "the list" --there are 2 choices -- the tracker IV * is a no screen sound only machine- it has 3 different sound tones for metal --a low "growly" tone for iron -- a middle "ping" type tone for gold /aluminum / nickle's and a high ping tone for copper and silver items -- it has a 3 position "mode" toggle switch -#1 is all metal mode /only 1 tone since your trying to find "all" metal it doesn't sort out anything --- then there is #2 diccrimate mode -- the higher you turn up your discrimation knob the less metal you will find , it drops of on a scale --iron is first then aluminum then gold /nickles and so on --if set with care the tracker IV can sort out some pulltabs from gold/nickel signals ( they are very close electrical conductivity wise which is how a metal detector "sorts" out what it has found -one metal from another*)-the there is #3 tone mode similar to #1 but with all 3 tone sounds instead of just 1 tone ---there is no "screen" of any sort --it is a "sound /tone machine" and to use it well you must be able to tell the difference in sounds

the second one on the list is the quickdraw II * it has a simple basic display that has arrows under certain icon type items that the machine will attempt to sort out finds into --its not perfect however since some items have very similar "electrical conductivity levels" like pull tabs and gold ring /nickles -- so again you will need to listen carefully and use both the sound /tone as well as the visual display to try to correctly ID the item you found -- if there is any doubt dig it out -- give the sound the benefit of the doubt over the display if they disagree --good signals should sound solid , with a crisp clear sharp tone , while "junk" will generally sound --scratchy , broken or "unclear"

I hope this helps you out . -- those would be my pick'js in a "no screen" model and screened model from the offered "list"

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jake1

May 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being serious here....use the healthcare points to get Turvis Tumblers and Pool Floats and use your cash to get a better detector if you plan to stick with the hobby.

Sure those BHs will find coins....but in my humble opinion, they will having you want to upgrade in no time.

And I used a Bounty Hunter for a long time years ago....trust me. lol

Thanks. I was starting to come to the same conclusion. There's thousands of other things I can use my points on, and spend a bit more for a different detector.

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I definitely disagree with screens making u a lazy digger some most have tones tone I'd etc but besides having just tones u will aswell get to analyze those iffy signals my screen & tone machines work awesome the Atpro the v3i & even my prism 4 all screen & tone work just fine

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I definitely disagree with screens making u a lazy digger some most have tones tone I'd etc but besides having just tones u will aswell get to analyze those iffy signals my screen & tone machines work awesome the Atpro the v3i & even my prism 4 all screen & tone work just fine

Well I'm with you on that, but I was talking about a first MD for someone that has never detected before. Better to train the ears first. Screens in that price range, with maybe the exception of the fisher f2, are pretty much useless imho. You hav to aim at the mid range detectors to find decent TID and other usable infos.

HH

Grumpy

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I have seen the Garrett model ace 150 250 those aren't real high in price wise but they have the screens to & are pretty accurate & the prisms coinmasters seem accurate as well I get what ur saying on not to just rely on what that screen says I have screen machines but I more tend to listen to those faint sounds that dont even come up on screen I'd advise when u do decide on brand model weather screen or just sound most important I would say would read the manual little at a time to much might over whelm u at first or mayb not but learning the machine u will get the most out of it

bevo

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
eastern wa
Detector(s) used
minelab eureka,fisher f2,ace 150,fisher gold tick,whites coin classic II
I owned a quicksilver for two weeks before I upgraded. The ace 150, tesoro compadre or fisher f2 are far better choices.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
for a low end decent machine --might I say --the delta 4000 ($279) is a decent lil machine is light in weight , uses only 1 9 volt battery--has a 0 to 99 "numbers type display" to sort metal finds into -- it is a decent lil sort (mind you some metal items do have similar "electrical conductivity levels" however)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread